1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing ISP's and E Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sara1878, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sara1878

Sara1878 Thread Starter

I am on MSN and hate it big time.......I want to change ISP's but I also want to save some of my old emails........does anyone have a way for me to do that? Making them a file and saving to a floppy would be great if it can be done. Thanks in advance for any help any one can give me.

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

you can keep your account at ????.msn.com without having them as your ISP.

I thought the same thing, 'you cant do it'. i was wrong. After cancelling MSN ISP 2 years ago. My email account is still active. Just make sure you sign in at least once every 30 days to keep it in an active status.

Now go shopping for another ISP. if you have not decided on one yet. you may want to look here.

http://www.myispfinder.org/

3. Sara1878

Sara1878 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply re: email and isp's.......I wasn't clear in my original post. I want to get rid of msn.com totally, completely out of my life and I have some old email saved which I want to go with me. There are several options I can think of such as forwarding each email to a new email address but that will take so long. So, I was hoping for something easier. Thanks.

4. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

ok, i wanted it out of my life too. but just retaining the email at NO COST to you is an option you need to look at.

BUT, open an account at yahoo or whatever you want. copy and paste the emails that you want to save. send them to yourself as one email. alot of time and energy.

keep the email account at msn., sign in once a month and just let those emails sit there. like i said, after 2 years i still have an email at ?????@msn.com

because if you call them and tell them to remove it. they claim they cant do it. you have nothing to lose.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

forwarding to a new email is an address and a click away.
    check to see if the email gets there before you delete from msn.

with the email open, "file/save as" a .doc in word, jpg for a pic, excel for a spread sheet, etc and save to a floppy.

6. Sara1878

Sara1878 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses...........I didn't realize I could keep the email for free on MSN if I just checked in once every 30 days. Right now I have an MSN Premium account through Qwest as the ISP.....I am going to try making them into a file and will get back to you ........ thanks again :)

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why can't you download them using a POP3 e-mail client?

8. Sara1878

Sara1878 Thread Starter

Mainly because I don't know how to d/l using a Pop3 email client. I have been on the net for awhile but really knew more when we used DOS commands.....with Windows I am some what lost........I was going to get an ISP that didn't supply an email program and then use an independent email program. Ever since I've been on Windows I've always used somebody else's email ie MSN, ATT, etc. I've never saved old email before either, so I haven't needed this info.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So you've never used Outlook Express?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/347899