1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing language in Office

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by YoungBob, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. YoungBob

YoungBob Thread Starter

Hi,

I just bought MS Office Home and Student 2007. It was really cheap so I literally jumped on it. When I got home, I noticed that it was the English language edition. I am French-Canadian so I would rather use a French edition of the suite.

I wonder if it is possible to change the language: It seems the suite can be downloaded for trial. What if I were to install the French trial version and then activate it using the code from the English version? Would that work?

I guess I could simply try it, but, if at all possible, I would rather try and avoid breaking the seal on the box. I still have the option of reselling it...

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

No can do. You get what you pay for.

3. YoungBob

YoungBob Thread Starter

Thanks,

I feared as much.

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

Given that it is a student edition, I am going to presume you are a student - perhaps you can find another student who wants an English version and have them buy a French one and you can swap (before installing what you have)?

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It's probably possible, but the time and effort to find out just which files need to be swapped, and tracking down the correct language version of that file might not be worth the effort.

But Microsoft has a $25 solution. Check out

$24.95 from MS (links at the top of that page), didn't see a link for a student edition but there might be one.

HTH

Jerry

6. YoungBob

YoungBob Thread Starter

Hi Slurpee55,

I'm no student. I haven't been to school for more years than i would care to say. I'll say though that I am a student of life... Finding the right person, the right student, might prove difficult. I did advertise it in the classified locale but didn't get one single reply. Which I tought was odd.

---------------------------------------------

Hi TheOutcaste,

That sounds like the perfect solution to my problem. This link you sent me to is most certainly the route I'll be taking. There is a link for purchasing a French language pack for this precise edition of Office I have. I paid the suite 33.00$ If I were to purchase the pack for 25.00$ and the "License Lock Block" (which I don't understand what it does) for 5.00$ That's a grand total of 63.00$ That is about 1/3 of what it costs in the store. I'm still way, way ahead.

Many thanks for bringing this to my attention.

You guys are the best!

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Young Bob -- the License Lock Box means MS will allow you to re-download the software and product key for 3 years. You can opt out by clicking the No, Thank you link, but it would then be up to you to save that downloaded file someplace, like burn it to CD. If you don't, and you have to format and re-install, you'd have to purchase the Multilingual User Interface Pack again.
    Leave it to MS to charge you for something most other companies do for free. Every other place I've purchased software from allows you to re-download for at least a year, if not longer.

While that will add features for a different language, like setting the default dictionary in Word to something other than your installed language, it won't change the language of the program User Interface (UI). For example, I changed mine to French Canadian from English (US), and all my menus, tool tips, help, etc, are still english -- only change I saw was the dictionary in Word -- there are probably others, like currency and time display, but I didn't look much farther.

According to Microsoft, the only way to change the UI language is to purchase the Multilingual User Interface Pack
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP052558361033.aspx

But even that won't change everything:

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Absolutely, this is the key! I believe it was in Office 2003 (don't hold me to that) the Office development team (excuse me, it was actually the install team) really shook things up with a revolutionary idea - language packs. This completely changed the way the installation took place. As far as Office installation goes, it was absolutely revolutionary, and quite ingenious IMHO.

10. YoungBob

YoungBob Thread Starter

Hi Anne Troy,

Thank you for the link. I've read the text many time and it is quite intriging.

I'm not sure this applies to my particular case. For instance, I don't believe it could then spell check a French text. Also, this is for Office 2003, not 2007.

Still, thank you for this.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hi TheOutcaste,

Thank you for clearing up the Licence Lock Box thing. I thought that was what it meant but just couldn't believe MS thought its users were so dumb they couldn't backup the file they just bought...

Also, those links are for Office 2003. Not sure if Office 2007 acts like Office 2003.

Thanks again.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Firefytr,

I also think language packs are quite ingenious.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------

One last note: Even though I'm not a student anymore, I was able to purchase the suite legally. This particular Edition is for "Home and Student" (not just student). Previous "Student" suite required a valid student ID. That is not the case anymore.

I think that is a fantastic thing. An ordinary home user like me doesn't have to spent an arm and a leg to get Word and Excel...

Thanks to all who wrote in.

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Opps, didn't notice that was office 2003 specific, guess i hadn't had enough coffee yet:eek: . A search on that subject didn't find anything relating to Office 2007 except the language packs.

I'd be surprised if Office 2007 DIDN'T have the same feature as the Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings, but then again this is MS. If it does (and works the same as it does in 2003) then it will let you spell check in whatever language you choose, but it won't change the menus and help.

Jerry

12. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Office 2007 should be almost identical to Office 2003 as far as the language packs go. The Install Team didn't do much different in that regard.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!