1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing language in Vista Basic ???

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by daxia, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daxia

daxia Thread Starter

Hey all

I have heard people say that it is possible, and others says that its only possible in premium and ultimate.

I will need to change the language of my vista basic from English to chines when I get it, and I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would be so stupid and make this impossible, because if it is, I will just buy a pirated Chinese version and never pay for anything that Microsoft makes again.

All though, according to this link: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/2bac0e03-c331-48fc-8b7e-b66b8007512d1033.mspx

it should be possible. It says so black on white (or at least gray on blue) "Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.", right under the big blue "Change the display language".

I was wondering if anyone have tried to change the display language with basic ?

thanks in advance

2. MMJ

MMJ Guest

3. daxia

daxia Thread Starter

Actually, the language files will work and be available for download with all versions of vista, including basic. I just called the support here in Sweden and thats what they told me.

So, to answer my own question. Yes, you can change the language in basic as well.

4. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Ok, so mark this solved.

5. wingedsoulless

wingedsoulless

Yeah .. and i have witnessed one too .. but now i'm going crazy on how to do so .. since the lower versions of vista does not have the mui technology in order to smooth the process. Anyone have any idea of how doing so ??? Cuz i want to change my lap's display language to chinese.
    Thanks in advance.

6. jiaqi

jiaqi

I think that not Vista is stupid, it's Microsoft Windows did cheating people. I tried many times “Change the display language”, it’s not changed. I can type in Chinese, but not display!!

I chart & call them for help, all give me the same website to follow it. No body know how to display real Chinese in the Vista screen! If I know this Windows Vista could not display real Chinese, for sure I won’t buy this stupid Vista.

7. ak32106

ak32106

Hello all, I'm new here and I have also been trying to find out if changing the operating system language is possible. In my past experience, the answer is NO, but going forward now that I may need a new PC I need to try and get the answer again (but with VISTA this time).
    I bought a PC when I was living in Germany and it came preloaded with XP in German. I tried all the regional settings and the control panel but experienced what many of you have experienced - it will NOT change the TOTAL language of the operating system. The only choice I had was to buy another XP CD in English, and have it loaded to my PC (in effect then, I paid TWICE for XP!).
    I now live in Belgium, and am facing the same question if I purchase a new system here - It will have the Vista loaded and be in FRENCH!
    I really do not want to have to purchase another copy of Vista in ENGLISH and pay to have that installed this time.
    Has anyone actually had any luck in finding out if changing the entire operating language is possible on Vista?
    Any guidance or help or discoveries would be very welcome and good luck to you all with your questions too!
    Regards,
    ak32106
    :confused:

8. tachiondude

tachiondude

Hi all,
    I did the change, just to validate it is possible, on Vista Home Basic.
    It was pain in *** since it included a lot of manual tasks.
    Steps to follow:
    1. Download the MUI for your target language. - In my case target language was Korean and original lang. was English
    2. Extract files into some temporary folder
    3. Search and copy manually files for the following paths AND sub paths
    C:\Windows\kr-KO\ & all subfolders (identify also the number for the specific language you are looking for. example 1033 for en_US.
    C:\Windows\System32\kr-KO\ & all subfolders
    C:\Program Files\ (e.g C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\ with all GUI related files)
    4. Rename Registry key value (since I couldn't find this from Lang. option in Control Panel)
    FROM
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages\en_US
    TO
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages\kr_KO
    5. Reboot

This exercise took almost a full day with lots of manual copying of files..
    I did some minor tests and it was all displaying in Korean in a correct manner.

Shame that you couldn't easily upgrade a Home Basic to Premium or Ultimate at a reasonable price, I would definitely pay some in order to avoid waisting whole day to just change the language..

Good luck!
    Cheers,
    Tachiondude

9. Dr3xus

Dr3xus

Joined the site purely for this post :p
    Is there no easier way to do this? If not, does any1 have a link for the
    MUI english isntall?

thanks in advance

10. tachiondude

tachiondude

11. tachiondude

tachiondude

Dr3xus,
    if you know "someone" who has the English version of Vista Basic, you would probably able to copy the folders & subfolders (as I listed above) and as final step, just change the registry for the MUI settings.
    Maybe you should create a portal to enable this "someone" to upload/download language related files?
    This would probably go faster than the one-off copy & paste exercise?

Cheers,
    Tachiondude

PS. Download links for the MUI files are pointing to Microsoft, you never know really what you get if you find those files on Torrents or similar.. DS

12. Dr3xus

Dr3xus

32 bit 1 is broken I think.. will try search it out later, need to work for now :p

13. tachiondude

tachiondude

14. Dr3xus

Dr3xus

That's the exact 1 I have.
    For some reason, when I try execute it on my vista laptop.
    It asks for "permission" after I accept. Nothing happens.

edit:found a friend with is, but its only 10.8 megs?
    does that sound correct? this is for
    windows/sys..32/en-US
    programfile/sidebar
    windows/en-US

15. Dr3xus

Dr3xus

FROM
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages\en_US
    TO
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages\kr_KO

What does that step mean?
    If i rename my
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages\zh-tw
    to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages\en-US
    it bombs out. :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice