1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing my Hard drive to SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akouvolo, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akouvolo

akouvolo Thread Starter

My computer is
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8094 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 917 GB (681 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 04G65K
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Enabled and Updated
    Watched Carey Holzman's video on updating an i7 computer to SSD drive.
    Is it advisable to update my computer with i5 drive to SSD?

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Yes, on the whole you'd see a faster performance from a SSD than a traditional HDD.

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

I just changed my hard drive in my GA-P43T-ES3G, Core2Duo E8600 to an A-data SU650 960GB and even with my "obsolete" system I saw a big difference. My desktop boots within 30 seconds and my web browsing is even faster. I used the Acronis program from A-data to clone my hard drive.

4. Pro-Hustler

Pro-Hustler

Yes, SSD is a more much decent choice than pre-embedded HDDs. For me, there had been a significant improvement in boot time. You could easily spot the differences once you move onto an SSD, preferably of larger sizes. SSD's also has an impressive read/write speeds from 200 MB/s to 550 MB/s. However, may vary from sizes and model. Overall, not a skeptical choice to move from HDD to SSD.

Source: :https://tekhattan.com/ssd-vs-hdd-speed-lifespan-and-reliability/

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

What surprised me the most was the web pages pop in a lot faster. My mechanical HD read at 115mb/s, SSD 248 mb/s , would have been faster but I think my board is only SATA II
    Edit: just checked says sata III will check my drivers! I think I have the BIOS set for IDE instead of AHCI. will have to see how to change

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I recently set up 2 Dell OptiPlex 780 minitowers for a long-time friend of mine.
    Both have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz processor and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM.
    The only difference between them is one has a SATA2 hard drive and one has a solid state drive.
    The speed and performance difference is very noticeable.
    (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

Although my computer is upgradeable to an ssd,i personally found no need for it.There may be a slight speed difference,but not enough to force me to upgrade.I have windows 7 home premium sp1,intel core i3 with 4gigs of ram (upgradeable to 8 gigs).I have had this computer for about 8 years.It boots in 15 seconds.My web pages pop up instantly.I can't imagine they could load any faster.
    Also,due to the fact that windows 7 updates may soon become obsolete,is another reason i found no need to upgrade.
    The time it takes your computer to boot depends on more then the speed of your hdd or ssd.Other things such as startup items,and how you have your computer set up.
    For some,an upgrade would make a big difference.For me however,i see no sense on wasting time and money for just a little more speed.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 7 SP1 is scheduled to no longer receive security updates after January 2020.
    I'm hopeful though that its end-of-life can be extended by utilizing certain steps like what was done with Windows XP Pro SP3 and Windows Vista SP2.
    Windows XP Pro SP3 was able to be extended for another 60 months (April 2014 through April 2019).
    Windows Vista SP2 was able to be extended for another 33 months (April 2017 through January 2020).
    If I'm correct, the end-of-life for Windows 7 SP1 may be able to be extended for another 21 months (January 2020 through October 2021).
    Time will tell.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A ssd is the single biggest boost to performance you can do to a system. Even faster than a standard ssd is the M.2 pci express drives; up to 6~7 times faster than a standard ssd. My ryzen system boots windows in approx 5 seconds [after POST]

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice