1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing my processor!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qazqaz159159, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qazqaz159159

qazqaz159159 Thread Starter

hey everyone, im changing my processor but i need a bit of help!

currently my processor is a:-

socket 478
    CPU Speed : 2.66GHz
    Bus Speed: 533MHz
    L2 cache speed: 512kb

this is what i am planning to change to:

socket 478 (obviously :) )
    cpu speed: 3.20GHz
    Bus Speed: 800Mhz
    L2 cache speed 1MB

however, this is what i am worried about.. ive read that To obtain the FSB of your Processor, a compatible motherboard that can support the Bus speed must be used and this is what it says in my mainboard manual:-

"supports socket 478 for P4/celeron processors with 400/533MHz"
    AND
    "Core Frequency from 1.8GHZ to 2.8GHz and up"

for quote number 1.. does it mean i wont be able to get a bus speed of 800MHz as my motherboard can only support up to 533MHz ?
    for quote number 2.. will i be able to get 3.2GHz from this new processor?

thanks in advance!

2. ViprXX

ViprXX

I think you just answered your own question lol. yeah your motherboard will support fsb up to 533 and 2.8Ghz
    Just find a different cpu that is 533 mhz fsb and 2.8 ghz

3. qazqaz159159

ok thanks.. just saved me £40 lol

im thinking of gettin a new motherboard, i mean socket 478 is really outdated by todays standards, along with my ddr 333 ram, non-PCI-E port

lol thanks again mate

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have your answer. You need a board that supports 800fsb. Since socket 478 boards are pretty scarce now, I would opt for a new board, cpu,memory, etc. The only boards I found on newegg for socket 478 are via chipset boards; NOT what I would use for an intel build.

Note you will most likely need a new pw supply as well since modern systems use 24pin and not the older 20pin you probably have now.

5. qazqaz159159

aye this is true aswell.. it wouldnt be economically wise to change all the parts.. might aswell get a new computer, or a laptop (will need it for uni soon so i might aswell save up)

btw this comp is 5 years old, reason why im asking about a processor change is that its gotten really slow nowadays (maybe cuz of nortons = sys resources hog)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Anything by norton/symantec is about the worst thing you can install on your system. There are much better apps than norton and many of them are free.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice