1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing names in embedded object in Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by gopal_tsg, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gopal_tsg

gopal_tsg Thread Starter

Hi ,
    I am having a problem with a embedded object in a word document.i actually wanted to embedd a .ini file(a text file).I embedded this object by choosing INSERT->OBJECT->'create from file tab' option and with the checkbox 'display as icon' enabled.When i tried opening this object and use the 'file save
    as ' option ,the title bar displayed 'Pkg20-Notepad' instead of original filename.If this is a feature restriction ,is there a option to specify the name of the original file(object embedded inside word) to be present as default option in the 'file save as ' dialog box,instead of *.*

Any help will be great.

With Regards
    Gopal

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Do you want to simply display the text that is in that INI file?

3. gopal_tsg

gopal_tsg Thread Starter

Hi DreamBoat,
    The idea was suppose that i had to give somebody my document containing the ini file as as embedded object,when the user tries to save a local copy the default filename that appears in the object is *.* ,instead of this i want the filename of the file embedded in it to be the default substitute.Even if the title bar of the 'file save as ' dialog box (inside the packager object)has the name it is enough

I hope i have the clarified myself.I simply don't want the text to be pasted inside the document but as embedded object.

With Regards
    Gopal

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Yuk.

Word isn't exactly Winzip....

If it's intra-company, why not put the ini on a network folder, or even a batch file that'll run it...put a hyperlink in the Word doc instead.

Or show them the INI text in the document, put a command button in the document, that will copy that text (don't worry, you can have create an autotext entry of the INI text so they can't change the text) to a new Word doc and save it as a text file with an INI extension and put it where you want it, or where they want it? Macros must be enabled of course.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

I can't help you any other way. Sorry. Maybe someone else can.

5. gopal_tsg

gopal_tsg Thread Starter

Hi Dreamboat,
    Thanks for the suggestion dreamboat,i think this should do it.

With Regards
    Gopal

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice