1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Operating System

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gskywalkers, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gskywalkers

gskywalkers Thread Starter

I currently am running Windows ME and have had nothing but problems with resources and having to reboot all the time so I want to change from ME to XP. My computer is a HP XT856. 933Mhz, 128mb ram, 1 40gb hard drive and 1 15gb hard drive.

Two questions. 1. Do I need to reformat the 40gb hard drive to intall xp or can I just put the disk in and it will overwrite ME?

2. If I need to reformat the 40gb hard drive, is there anything I need to do with the 15gb hard drive like unhook it during the format?

2. mobo

mobo

during the installation you will be given the option of where to install. simply choose the me partition and it will format and install xp there. FYI...There is no upgrade option for me to xp so you will have to clean install xp...

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First I would increase the amount of ram in your computer. The very least I install is 256; 512 would be better. Now on to the install. Set your bios to boot from cdrom as first boot device. Restart computer with the xp cd in the cd drive. You may see a message saying press any key to boot from cd, do so. Setup will start and give you a menu, choose to install. Setup will examin your hd and show all of the places you might want to install. Choose the partition you have me in now. Choose to delete the partition; now create the partition and format with ntfs. Setup will contiune. You can repeat the delete / create if you want for different partitions. If you just have one, now is an excellent time to partition your hd into more than one partition if you want.

As to disconnecting the other drive, you can if you want. Just be sure what drive / partition you are going to delete / format. Note if you disconnect your drive and then reconnect it later it will be given a letter after the cdrom ie F or something. This can be changed in disk management.

4. gskywalkers

Thanks for the quick replies. I was mistaken on the 128 mb ram as I forgot that is what the computer came with and I added 256mb more later on so that should not be an issue. I don't understand the ntsf part. Is this "format with ntfs" and option that will be given during this process??

5. mobo

mobo

Yes

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

NTFS is the native file structure for nt based os. It is more fault tolerant and offers better security. When you go to format your hd, you will be given an option to format with ntfs or fat32. You can choose whichever one you want.

7. gskywalkers

ok.....thanks

8. gskywalkers

Hello again......after trying to backup all of my files before making this change over from ME to XP, I have found because I have so many things that I want to keep that it might be better this time around if I use the larger drive "C" as my slave and the 15gb hard drive "D" for the operatiing system so I have a couple more questions about this before I proceed.

1. I want to first go into the bios and set it to boot from the cdrom

2. Then I would like to format the "D" drive so that there is nothing on it. Then shut down and open the computer and disconnect the "C" drive that has the ME operating system on it. At the same time, change the "D" drive so that it is the master.

3. Then reboot with the cdrom in the drive and install XP on this blank "D" drive. If this all works sucessfully and I am able to set up the dial up networking and my other programs on the "D" drive, then I can once again shut down and disconnect the "D" Drive and re-connect the "C" Drive and format it and make it the slave.

Does all this make sense or is there a better way to do this?? My reasoning for doing it this way is just in case I run into trouble that I will still have the functional ME system on the "C" drive.

9. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Doesn't look like you will really need to do step 3. Leave the smaller 15GB drive as your new C drive. Take a bit of time and copy the files you want to keep on the the new C drive (temporarily), format the new D drive to get it all squeaky clean, then move those files back over.

As a nice safety/backup, keep all your personal files on D from here on out, then if you have to (or want to) play around with the OS drive, you will never have this musical chairs problem with personal files again. Also, you might consider ghosting (Norton Ghost/imaging) your clean C: drive and keeping it on the D....that's how I've set up my poor, hapless mother.

10. gskywalkers

Thanks for all the help......now all that is left is for me to do it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice