1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing (or adding) an extension

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by normjar, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. normjar

normjar Thread Starter

downloaded an autumn scene picture and somehow saved it as a .doc extension in MS Word. Would like to make it a .jpg extension so that i can go into Display and find it so that I can use it as my Desktop. Thanks much for assistance.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    It is not enough to simply change the extension of a file, because all the extension does is tell the computer what the file contains. If it contains a document, you can't just say to read it as if it were a picture.

That said if the file is actually an image file and you accidentally misnamed it with a .doc extension here's what to do:

Open the folder
    Press ALT
    Click Tools
    Click Folder options
    Uncheck "hide extensions of known file types"
    Click OK
    Right click on the file.
    Click Rename
    Select only the .doc extension.
    Type .jpg
    Press Enter.

What you can do however, if you have a word document with the picture sitting in the page, is the following:
    Open the document.
    Right click on the picture.
    Click Save image as
    Navigate to where you want it.
    Name it what you need and click save.
    You will not remove the .doc which needs removing manually, but will have created a new image file.

3. normjar

normjar Thread Starter

Thank you for your kind reply to my question. I opened tjhe folder options and got ten tabs in the window, none of which had "hide extensions of know file types" in them. Therefore, I could not continue with the subject file being an image file. As for the file being a word document with the picture sitting in the page, I right-clicked the opened file page and the resulting window did not have the "save image as" choice in it. Therefore, I could not continue.

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    OOOps. In folder options you have to go to the View tab, the entry isn't in General. Give it another shot.

To restate
    Open the folder
    Press ALT
    Click Tools
    Click Folder options
    Click the View tab
    Uncheck "hide extensions of known file types"
    Click OK
    Right click on the file.
    Click Rename
    Select only the .doc extension.
    Type .jpg
    Press Enter.

If that works, simply reverse the process and check "hide extensions of known file types" to stop them from showing again.

5. normjar

normjar Thread Starter

As previously mentioned, in all ten tabs of the "View" window there is no "hide extensions of know file types" choice! I am running Windows XP. Is it possible you are running another program?

6. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I am running Windows Vista, but I have used XP in the past and it is exactly the same.

Perhaps it would be easier if you looked at this page, which has the added advantage of having screenshots.
    http://www.fileinfo.com/help/windows-show-extensions.html

If you check and there is no such entry, please could you post a screenshot to show what your Folder Options looks like.

7. normjar

normjar Thread Starter

Finally realized the error. You said to open the folder. Well, if you open the folder you get the image (a beautiful autumn scene). Now, when you right-click on the page you get a window that does not have "hide extensions of known file types" in it. However, if you do not open the file folder and right-click on the file folder you get the window that does have "hide extensions of known file types" in it. Anyway, I followed through to the end and when I opened the file i got "NO PREVIEW AVAILABLE".

I will seek the site I originally downloaded the image from and download it again.

Thank you for your kind effort on my behalf.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!