1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing passwords after trojan virus removal

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by alugal, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alugal

alugal Thread Starter

Hello again helpful people!
    Thanks so very much for your help in the past. You folks are real family! Now I need advice on the best way to go about changing passwords. I just cleaned a trojan virus from my computer, and I am advised that trojans can steal passwords and credit card numbers. How do you advise me to best go about changing passwords? Please be very simple in the answer, as I am fairly new to the cyber world.
    Thanks from a deeply grateful friend, Tom

2. beach51

beach51

Hi Tom,Before you go ahead and change passwords i would install a firewall(Zone alarm)to see if anything is dailing home so to speak.The firewall will stop anyone who tries to access for computer and will also stop anything trying to access the internet from your computer.Go to this site and download the free firewall.

www.zonealarm.com

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Since the Trojan has already been in, and has been removed, installing a firewall, although a good idea in the long run, is a little late.

re: passwords.

You need to go to every site that you have logged into, ESPECIALLY sensitive sites, like online banking, stock, etc.

Each of these, on their login page, should have the capability to allow you to change your password. On each site, select this option and change your password.

If you had any confidential files on your PC that referenced bank account numbers, credit card numbers, etc., you should monitor these accounts closely for a period of time. It is entirely possible that even though you had a trojan installed, that you were not actually compromised by an intruder.

BUT, in the event that an outsider had access to your PC, they could view anything they wanted. And, again, they may or may not use that information.

4. alugal

alugal Thread Starter

Thank you both for your timely replies. I will follow your advise. As for using zone alarm, I have had that installed for some time as well as McAfee. The Trojan seems to have come from an email from "Linda" purporting to have won an auction I had on ebay.
    Again I am in your debt! Thanks so much!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice