1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing previous owners name

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ron the Geek, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ron the Geek

Ron the Geek Thread Starter

As most know, I work at a pawn shop cleaning up bought computers, or those that were lost in pawn, for resale. One of the many things that I do, since I can't reinstall but rather have to work with what comes on the machine, is eliminate all accounts but one administrators account which I typically name "owner." To keep these machines safe from mischievious children and other would-be "messer-upers" on the sales floor, I password protect the screen saver. This also provides an opportunity for the salesperson to get involved. Anyway, when the password window opens, it still has the former owners name—the registerer—in that window. Isn't there a line in the registry listing that name? Can this be edited in the registry? It's not that big of a deal, but I just prefer to remove anything that would be personal to the previous owner. Thanks!!
    RTG :cool:

2. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

Well, there's numerous places where the owner's name appear. It is repeated over and over for each software installation. If you're talking about the Microsoft Registered Owner's name, that can be found in: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version -- The key is Registered Owner.

I suppose once you find that, you can do a search and replace it with "owner" if you want. I hope that helps you. :)

Bubblz

3. Ron the Geek

Do you know if this is a key that MS monitors when updating or anything? Will it cause any other system problems if I edit that? Sometimes I get machines where the owner has registered him or herself in a less than proper way (badassMoth...) and I would just like to reset it. But I don't want it to result in any new problems.

4. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

I have reset it before with no ill effects.

5. Ron the Geek

Thanks! I'll change it. ;)
    RTG :D

6. Ron the Geek

I know this is an old thread, but... everyplace that I wanted the former owners' name changed has been changed except for one: The name on the window that comes up for password protection on resume from screen saver. With changes I make to the account name itself and in the Windows NT\current version\ directory, modifying the Registered Owners' name, it takes care of everything but that window. How can I change that? (I tried typing "owner" in the the space to see if that would replace the other name the next time it came up, but it did not change.) As always, Thanks!
    RTG :)

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You need to create a new user with the one you wan. You can't simply change the underlying user account name.

8. Ron the Geek

So, instead of renaming one of the existing administrators accounts, I should create a new one first, then eliminate the others, right? Geez... forest... trees...

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yep. That's it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice