1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Printer from LPT1 to USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karlmoll, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karlmoll

karlmoll Thread Starter

I have an accounting program (DOS but Windows capable) that only prints to an LPT port. Now that printers only have USB ports I can no longer print. Is there a program that will redirect my LPT1 output to the USB printer? Help please.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

You might get give us the name of this program so we can try to help a little more.

3. karlmoll

karlmoll Thread Starter

"Bottom Line Accounting", although I'm sure you never heard of it. Its pretty obscure. Unfortunately I've used it for years and dread having to enter all the data into a new program.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

5. karlmoll

karlmoll Thread Starter

Sounds great but how do I "capture the LPT port in the command prompt" thanks.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Did you read the link I provided? It has the entire set of steps, if your stuck on one step in there let me know.

7. karlmoll

karlmoll Thread Starter

I can also ship it to a COM port

8. GCDude

GCDude

another suggestion to add to stumpedtechies, is to have a google for "redmon". i looked at this a while back and im sure u can use this (or a related util) to redirect print jobs from lpt1 to a file or another port.

9. karlmoll

karlmoll Thread Starter

Well, I used the method described in

http://www.decompile.com/dataflex/tips/usb_printer.htm

and it worked great. Thanks so much StumpedTechy.

Now a related issue. While the program now sends all my LPT2 output to the USB printer port (which is great as it is), my escape codes for controlling text size, orientation and formatting are printing at the top of the page rather than being interpreted as printer commands ( for example \027E\027&160F). Any ideas?

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Sorry this is where you have me stumped. If you leave it standard formatting does it print just fine or does this also have symbols at the top of the page?

11. karlmoll

karlmoll Thread Starter

The program provides a place where PCL5 codes can be entered to set up the printing the way the user wishes. I can strip out the PCL5 commands and they no longer print. So yes, if I use standard formatting there are no symbols printed.

But, I want the codes interpreted by the printer as escape sequences and used to adjust the printing parameters.

12. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Strange PCL5 should be PCL5 regardless of if its USB or parallel.... I;ll have to look into it.

13. karlmoll

karlmoll Thread Starter

I'd really appreciate it if you could. Thanks.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/392891