1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Process Priority

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Colandra, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Colandra

Colandra Thread Starter

I am runnng Vista Home Basic
    I am a Skype user and I think it runs better(maybe I am having myself on) if I change its Priority through Task Manager to HIGH.

Is there a way to change this Process so that it always starts and runs with a higher Priority.

Many thanks
    Colandra

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. Colandra

Colandra Thread Starter

Will :
    Thanks for you help.
    I tried PRIO but I could not get the Process Priority function to work the way I wanted it to.
    Anyway I searched furthed and found "Process Priority Optimizer" and this product has the functionality I was looking for. In fact it has a very nice BOOSt FORGROUND function which I am using to give SKYPE priority when I am using it.

Many thanks
    Colandra

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wouldn't try Prio in Vista. It's driver can cause enough problems in XP. If you do install it in XP, skip the driver installation. It can lead to permissions issues or lost accounts. The other functions it adds to the Task Manager will still work.

Try installing Process Tamer. It has a lot of functions related to priorities. It will tame processes that start to use too much CPU and lower it until they calm down. You can also use it to set default priorities for any processes.

But there amy be times where you want to control one individually. I use the Tamer for most things, but for media players, I prefer to use PowerMenu. It allows you to change the priority of a process or window by adding priorities to the context menu. It adds tray-minimize, too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice