1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing prompts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rebon, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

No real reason to do this , just curiosity,
    In windows xp if i go to start>run then type command to get a dos box, can anyone give me the command to change the command prompt to my hard disk partitions, ie C:\ to E:\,
    Coz i tried to change to my various partiotions but all i seem to be able to see is C:\

any help appreciated.

2. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

Hi rebon

Not sure if you're after a command to type at the Start>run prompt or at the DOS prompt when you have a DOS window open.

If it is the former - then sorry, I can't help, but.... if it is the latter then all I do when I see the DOS prompt is to type the drive name I wish to set followed by a colon then return, i.e.

D: or
    F: etc

this seems to work fine for me.

One thing though - If I type a drive letter at the DOS prompt that is not mounted i.e. T: for example, then nothing happens.

Hope this helps...

regards

John

3. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

Thanks John.

4. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

That's no problem, you're very welcome. Did it work?

J

5. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

Well John, having just upgraded to winxp i wasn't to sure where everything was or how it worked.

So i went start>programs>accessories>command prompt
    and canged the directory and it worked ok :D

So i'm sorted thx.

6. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

Great stuff!! How are you getting along with XP then? I upgraded from Me just prior to Christmas last year and haven't looked back since.

You do get occasional problems but I always manage to trudge along somehow. When you use the PC as much as I do then I think it's fair to say you're gonna experience some problems en route!!

Happy XP'ing

John

7. rebon

rebon Thread Starter

Well i like it so far and all seems stable, pc's are my main hobby and i use it alot, i'm a gamer really, so i upgrade my pc about every year.

So everything is ok at the momment, and long may it continue :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/87135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice