1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing router to allow internet phone??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wacor, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wacor

wacor Banned Thread Starter

I currently have a cable modem and cable tv. Also have a router that allows wireless access to 3 other computers.

I am thinking of upgrading my cable service and getting the bundle with the internet telephone. That will require changing the modem as i understand it.

I really get frustrated with tech crap when things fail so i am curious if I am asking for problems since my current set up has worked great if I change modems??

I do not know what support will be provided yet as have not called to make changes but i am guessing they will mail me a new modem if I want to say installation costs.

If I do a self install then what will I need to do with the router to get it set up?

It is WPA security enabled for the wireless stuff. Just plug it in to the new modem?

any method of set up I should do as far as what gets plugged into what first to make this as simple as it can get??

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Who setup the router you have now? It would be no different with a new router. You'd have to go through the same steps. No, WPA would not be enabled by default. You'd have to set that up yourself.

3. wacor

Sorry if i confused things

The router would remain the same.

What would change is the modem. My understanding is that if you want cable phone that a combination modem is required which the cable company supplies.

This modem will allow for cable internet and cable phone where as the existing modem is strictly for cable internet.

at least that is the impression i get from the WideOpenWest website who would be the company I would go with. It is that or Comcast which in our area is not very great

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    There should be no change. The connection should still be the same. I think the phone will be going to a different box.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If only the modem changes, then nothing changes with your router or wireless setup. It's simply not affected.

6. wacor

Thanks to both for the response.

My understanding is that there is only one modem and that it is dual usage to handle the internet and the phone.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    is it through comcast, or which ever cable company you have?

8. wacor

Yes

WideOpenWest

This what was in the faq's that leads me to conclude it is a dual use modem

Q: Do I have to keep the WOW! advanced modem in a specific location?

If you are a current WOW! High-speed Internet customer, then the installation will involve replacing the existing high-speed cable modem for a new advanced modem. The advanced modem should remain with your computer so that you can use it for high-speed Internet access as well. A phone outlet needs to be nearby to complete a typical installation.
    If you do not have WOW! High-speed Internet, the advanced modem should be placed in an area that is easily accessible to a cable connection and a phone jack. The WOW! technician will be able to help you determine the best place to install the advanced modem.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That statement doesn't make sense. VOIP by definition doesn't use a phone jack. What exactly are you signing up for?

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    agreed, that doesn't make sense.

11. wacor

Only thing I can figure is the phone jack connection is for the output from the phone part of the modem. they would hook up to the nearest phone jack and then back feed to the rest of the phone lines in the house.

what i posted is what is on the WoW website.

Beats me how they are doing it.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If that's the case, then the phone connection would have to be terminated someplace outside. I suggest you call them and verify what exactly you're signing up for and getting.

13. wacor

They do the turning off of the phone service

I think the probably will disconnect the wiring where it enters the basement as i doubt they would touch it at the road where there is a junction box.

Wow is not a small company in this area and my wife has a friend at work with this so I am confident it will work.

my main concern was if the router would need to be reset.

I assumed not as I never put any encryption on the wired computer, just the laptop which is wireless.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have Vonage, and they supplied the Motorola VT1005V adapter, it's just plugged into one of the ports of my router. No other changes necessary.

15. wacor

Apparantly they have a dual modem which eliminates the adapter you refer to. This is a phone service provided by the Wide Open West. I suppose the modem is dual use the same as there are as I recall modem/router combos.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice