Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing routers

Solved 
610 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I have a home network that uses a cable modem (from the Cable company) and a router (mine). I want to replace the router because it frequently decides it needs to be rebooted. My friend gave me his relatively new, and quite dependable, wireless router. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have the installation CD that came with it. I understand that I can manually install and set up the ‘new’ router.

I’m not really well versed in this sort of stuff, so my question is this:

If I disconnect my current router, and am unsuccessful in installing/setting up the replacement, will I be able to merely re-connect the old one and be back in business, or will I have to go through the setup process for the old one? Is there any way I could mess up so that neither router works?

#2 ·
I understand that I can manually install and set up the 'new' router.
Download the user manual from the manufacturer's web site, reset the router to factory defaults, and get started. Remember that if the modem is a modem only (not a modem/router combo) you need to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds or so) it when changing the device connected to it.

If I disconnect my current router, and am unsuccessful in installing/setting up the replacement, will I be able to merely re-connect the old one and be back in business
Yes, remembering to power cycle the modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.