1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing symbol font from Word 2000 to Word 97

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by csergeant, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. csergeant

csergeant Thread Starter

I have had a search of the forum and can't find a solution to this, so apologies if it is a known / obvious fix for the experts!

I have created a document in Word 2000 that includes some "Windings" symbols. In opening the document on other machines in Word 97, some of them have changed font colour and turned into "Wingdings 2" and others have remained in "Wingdings" but changed font colour.
    Wingdings is definitely an installed font on the machines I have tried, and it appears to be a consistent change on those different machines (i.e. replaced characters are the same and colour changesare the same).
    [We are all appear to be using the same printer drivers and are using Windows 98]
    Thoughts
    Craig

2. csergeant

csergeant Thread Starter

Slight error in the above. Gone back to original machine and checked document. When opening in Word 97 the font isn't actually changing as I did use "Wingdings 2" in the original anyway, but clolours are changing and the actual symbol used in "Wingdings 2" has changed.

So basically the two problems are:

1 - font colours are changing on all the symbol font characters (whether "Wingdings" or "Wingdings 2").
    2 - a different symbol is being used for those in "Wingdings 2" on the Word 97 machines.

Craig

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

4. csergeant

csergeant Thread Starter

Thanks for that, think I may have at least figured a work around:

In the original Word 2000 doc, I have selected the "embed truetype font" option, seems to maintain the right characters.

Colour problem seems to be the fact that at the Word 97 colour palette is a lot more restricted than on the Word 2000. Therefore on opening the word 97 versions seems to select another "similar" colour, not always successfully. So I could just make sure I use only those colours that the Word 97 machines have as standard (this is not ideal as quite limiting)

So the question now is:

- is there anyway of embedding additional colours used in Word 2000 within the document so that on opening in Word 97 it maintains the original colour which my not be on the standard Word 97 colour palette?

Clear as mud?!
    Craig

ps. Yes I know the ideal solution is to upgrade all the 97 machines but I work for local governement so that's not really an option!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/286811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice