1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing the Boot Drive to the secondary

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deaneg, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deaneg

Deaneg Thread Starter

I have a slightly unusual situation. I have a Dell Precision Workstation 530 running XP sp2. This computer has a primary C: hard drive which, for some odd reason, Dell decided to make it a 16 GB SCSI drive. There is an IDE buss available and I have a 160 GB Seagate drive (E:) on the Primary and a DVD/CD on the secondary. I keep running out of memory on the primary C: drive so I would like to clone the contents of the C: drive and move it to the 160 GB drive. I have downloaded a nice little program called HD_Clone 4.2 to do this but I have questions: 1. What if I just change the boot drive in the BIOS to the 160 GB drive and clone the data to that drive. Would that work?? Or would that delete the data currently on the drive? Then I would rename E: to C: after pulling the SCSI drive. 2. OR Do I need to create a new partition on the 160 GB drive? If so will this delete the data currently on the drive? What about formatting this new partition? 3. Can I name this new partition C: to keep all the file references the same? 4. If it helps I could copy (CLONE) the 16GB SCSI drive to an SD card, then unplug the SCSI, create the new C: partition and then copy the SD card to the new C:. Please provide a step by step of the best way to achieve this if possible. Thanks much. Dean

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice