1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing the name in documents an settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jonno112, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonno112

jonno112 Thread Starter

I have a ghost image that i created of a pentium system, i use it when dealing with other systems of the same make and hardware (saves me doing a fresh install).

Everything works well except there is one problem the original image has a name attached to it. Eg:

Log off John - I just remove this with group policy
    Johns documents in docs and settings - I don't think i can change this
    The manage console, User - John - I can change this.

This sytem has no welcome screen so i don't have to worry about that.

What i need to do is change the user name to the new owner. And remove the old? Is there an easy way, i have tried google but nothing comes up.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you looked at Sysprep? That's the proper way to duplicate identical machines. It also generates a new SID for each machine, which is important in networks.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I can't remember if -reseal gets rid of any users you have created in the image or not. I think it does. Then when the user first boots up it goes thru the mini setup and asks the user to setup a new user on the system.

4. jonno112

jonno112 Thread Starter

I didn't even think of sysprep thats a good idea, and i will also try the microsoft doc as well.

Hey thanks for the quick replies. (y)

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you mean change the actual user id, not was is displayed in the welcome screen, the easiest way is to create a new user account with the name you want.

6. jonno112

jonno112 Thread Starter

Do you mean copy the old profile to the new and then remove the old one, bloody hell i feel stupid. I do it all the time at work.

That will remove all the entries of the old user. Brilliant thanks

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

No sweat. Glad you see how easy it is.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/420341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice