Changing User Account Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Warthog1

Steve
Hi

I've just got a new PC and populated my files and programs with a backup program. This left me with two User accounts in the C: drive. The old one was a work account that I want to get rid of and the other is a local administrator account. The old work account seemed to be the default so I copied everything from the old account and pasted it into the local account and all seems to be going reasonably well, but I noticed a few things out of whack and I also noticed the ntuser.dat file in the old account was 11 mb and in the local it's only 256kb. I can't move the larger file into the local (and I'm not sure I should anyway), but are there settings, etc in the larger ntuser file that I'm missing and if so, how can I fix it?

Thanks!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 101 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 15830 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 309 GB (113 GB Free); H: 931 GB (156 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 09PHHV
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I can't move the larger file into the local (and I'm not sure I should anyway), but are there settings, etc in the larger ntuser file that I'm missing and if so, how can I fix it?
No, you can't copy the ntuser.dat file over. The settings are more than likely held in c:\users\old account\appdata.

cybertech

Retired Moderator
It's a good idea to have a second account anyway. Sometimes the account you use all the time can become corrupt and the second account gives you access to the machine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online