Changing User folder name from "Owner" to me

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Glen8

Just got a new notebook with Vista Ultimate installed. Under User Accounts it lists "All Users", "Default User" and "Owner". I'd like to change Owner to my name. Is that possible? I tried right-clicking it but Rename isn't an option. The computer was set up in the store I bought it and I suppose that's what they put in. My initial log-in as Administrator did not require a password. I've since changed that and I now log in with my name as an Administrator and using a password. But my name isn't listed as one of the Users. I remember going into the Registry in previous versions of Windows and changing things like this but am reluctant to do so in Vista because I know so little about it.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The best way to do this , is to "Make a new admin account", Ste up your email and make the system settings that you want. Copy all of the data files, favorites and etc from the "Owner" to your New account. After you are sure that you have copied all of your data, delete the old account and files.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
This is the way I do it:
In the Start Menu, right click on Computer and select "Manage." Under Local Users and Groups, select "Users." There you can change the name and display name of your user account

Glen8

Thanks to both Daves for their responses. I actually incorporated bits of both answers and ended up with the result I wanted. Appreciate your help!(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online