1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing User name in XP registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dnaga57, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dnaga57

dnaga57 Thread Starter

I got my new PC with Win XP preinstalled.
    Under C: Documents & Settings it shows All users, Default user & user.
    I am the only user. I have changed my Login name via Control panel. I am not able to change 'user' as it says it is used by system32 & cannot be changed.
    Is there any method?
    Thanks.. this is my 1st question.
    ;)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Create a new account with the name that you want. Copy over the profile from the other one if you want and then delete the first account.

3. dnaga57

dnaga57 Thread Starter

Can you elaborate the steps please.
    Thank you in advance

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Start by going to User Accounts in Control Panel and creating a new account with the name you desire. Log into that account. It will look brand new, just like XP was just installed.

Then, log out and log back in to an account with admin privileges. Right-click My Computer (or go to the System in Control Panel), Advanced tab, User Profiles settings. Copy the old profile to the new account.

Check the new account by logging in. If it is OK, go to the User Accounts applet again in any admin account and delete the old account.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice