1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Changing video. TNT2 16MB to TNT2 32MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Foamer, Jun 13, 2001.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Foamer

Foamer Guest Thread Starter

Hi guys. Just a question. An easy one I think. Right now, I'm using an nVIDIA TNT2 Model 64 16MB video card. This video card works pretty well, but could be better. Especially with games like Quake III Team Arena. I am thinking off upgrading to a nVIDIA TNT2 Model 64 32MB video card. Since the only difference between the two cards is that one has more memory. Can I use the video card driver already installed if I switch from the 16MB card to the 32 MB card?

Computer is a Systemax Athlon 1Gh W/Windows ME. X4 APG slot.

2. Chum

Chum

How much are you going to spend on the new card? I would recommend upgrading to a GeForce2 MX, rather than a TNT.

3. Piano Man

Piano Man Guest Thread Starter

foamer, please don't do that.

Regardless of whether the new one has more or less memory, that doesn't matter. You will still need to DL the latest driver for that specific new video card. The new one should come with software so you can install the driver for it.

Just as a note: I have used both of the 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce &
    32 MB <b>DDR</b> NVIDIA Geforce2 GTS 4x APG (just released last quarter of 2000)

I gotta tell ya, that DDR is quite nice. I quite pleased with it. I don't know what your budget limit is, but if you can afford it, go with a DDR model.

I have another question for you - this is unrelated to your original question. How long have you run Win ME and do you like it? How much system RAM do you have?

<font color="blue" size="7" face="comic sans ms"><b><marquee direction="right">Piano Man</marquee></b></font>

4. Foamer

Thanks for the replies guys..... First... I've been Using Win ME for about 3 months now and am running 128MB's of RAM
    It seems to work well, but watch your hard drive space! ME takes ALOT of it! 3GB's! But has ALOT of features Windows 98 doesn't. Expanded media player. CD recorder. DVD player. And one feature that if you accidently delete a file, you can set it to go back a day and get it back. Unfortunately, No less troublesome than the last generation windows. But if it is any comfort, It isn't any worse.

The only reason I was thinking of a 32MB TNT2 is to try to avoid the pain of a new driver installation... But I have the money... So weather $50 or $500 I could swing it. So I see Geforce2 has the collective nod! LOL! But I just don't want to have to go through the headache of installation. Hope it will not be to hard. Does anyone see a problem?

Thanks again! :)

[Edited by Foamer on 06-13-2001 at 05:19 AM]

5. Piano Man

Well first of all, i'm not psychic. I have no idea (based on the information you posted) whether you will have a problem or not.

Secondly, I've used windows me and i HATED IT with a passion. It is the most bloated software MS has ever produced - it's more like Windows with training wheels. Even the 128 MB SDRAM i had was barely enough.

CD recorder and DVD player?? No foamer, that is not unique to windows me - that's just software. You can load cd burning software like Nero on Win98 as well and it will work fine as long as you have a CD-RW drive of course.

Furthermore, the system restore feature you mentioned is available in windows 2000 except it's called Windows File Protection and works by a different mechanism.

I'm sure you've heard it many times, MS tells you that windows me is the "home version" of windows 2000 - it's B.S. - just a marketing gimmick. W2K and windows me have NOTHING to do with each other and anyone who tells u that is a fool or doesn't know much about OS. W2K is more like an upgarde from NT 4.0 - based on business needs and applications - it is purely DOS driven and is very stable. In fact, some claim it is the best OS MS has produced to date. Better than XP. I've seen XP and there's no way in hell i'm going to pay for upgrading to it. There's no benefit to it. Windows 2000 will last me for many more years - it's dead solid.

If you've got money to burn, I'd suggest do with a video card that uses DDR technology. The choice is up to you. Go to other forums that discuss video cards specifically. You should find more information & discussion for what you are looking for.

<font color="blue" size="7" face="comic sans ms"><b><marquee direction="right">Piano Man</marquee></b></font>

[Edited by Piano Man on 06-13-2001 at 07:23 PM]

6. brianF

brianF

Get a gforce2 or gforce2 ultra, I have ddr, my son has gts2, nice card, nothing wrong with mine but his out performs mine and if you really got the money go for a gforce 3.

As far as installing the card, just change your system to standard vga drivers, reboot, uninstall any software loaded with the current card, then go to device manager delete the card in device manager, shutdown, take out card, put in new, reboot, windows will install it, done deal.

If your worried here is the long version of how to correctly do it.

Taken from GeFroce tweak guide http://www.tweak3d.com

Cleaning Out Old Drivers and Installing New Drivers

Start out by downloading the latest Nvidia reference drivers here. We always recommend
    reference drivers because the core is the newest and usually the best.

The process that we recommend following to clean out old drivers is a long and somewhat
    complicated one, but it's worth it. When installing your drivers, it is best to do a proper install,
    which involves switching to a standard display type, purging your system of any old drivers,
    and installing the new drivers. Read and follow the steps carefully.

Step One
    Right click your desktop
    Choose Properties
    Choose Settings
    Choose Advanced
    Choose Adapter
    Click Change
    Here you'll be presented with a couple of options. Choose to display a list of drivers. In the left
    pane, scroll all the way to the top and choose (Standard display types). Then, in the right
    pane, choose Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA). Follow the prompts, and reboot.

Step Two

The second step before installing the new drivers is making certain that there's no driver
    "residue" left behind from previous driver installs. If you're upgrading from a previous set of
    Nvidia reference drivers, do the following:
    Click the Start button and select Find, and then Files and Folders...
    Make sure the Find applet is set to search your C:\ drive and do a search for "nv*.*" - without
    the quotes
    Look for any files found in the C:\Windows\System and C:\Windows\Inf and C:\Windows\Help
    Select these files and delete them (do NOT empty them from the Recycle Bin until you know
    your upgrade has been a success)
    Exit the Find applet
    Click the Start button and select Run
    In the Run box, type regedit; this will open the Windows Registry Editor
    In the left-hand pane, navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation

Right-click on the Nvidia Corporation key in the left-pane, select Delete, and click Yes to
    confirm the deletion
    Exit Regedit and hit the F5 key to refresh the registry
    If you're upgrading to Nvidia reference drivers from a manufacturer's proprietary drivers, you
    have two options. The first option is using an uninstall utility that may or may not have come
    with your video card. If there is such a utility, you'll find it in the Add/Remove Programs applet
    in the Control Panel. There may also be such a utility on the drivers CD that came with the
    card. If you have an uninstall applet, use it. If not, you'll have to take a different approach to
    "uninstalling" the old drivers. This is where System Info comes in. It's a handy little applet in
    Windows that displays information about installed components, drivers, resources, etc.. To use
    it, do the following:
    Click the Start button and select Run
    In the Run box, type msinfo32
    Once System Information opens, click on Components and then Display (in the left-hand pane)
    In the right-hand pane, System Info will display a list of information about the display drivers
    that are CURRENTLY INSTALLED. Each file has a Company Name entry, which you need to pay
    attention to. If a file's Company Name is either Intel Corporation or Microsoft Corporation,
    forget that you ever saw it. As for the rest of the files listed, write down the name of each
    one. Do a Find for these files as outlined in step two (above), deleting each file as you go.

Next, from the System Information utility, select System Configuration Utility from the Tools
    menu, and select the Startup tab. Look through the list for anything related to your old drivers.
    For example, when removing Creative Labs' drivers, you may find something that refers to a
    "Blaster Control," such as bcontrol.exe or blasterc.exe. Uncheck these items, and close the
    utilities. (If you're prompted to restart, it is recommended that you do so.)

Step Three

Now to install the new drivers.... Make sure you have extracted the .zip containing the driver
    files to an easy-to-find location. Once you've done so:

(The following pertains only to Nvidia reference drivers, and may not work properly with
    non-Nvidia drivers.)
    Right-click the desktop and select Properties
    Click the Settings tab, and click the Advanced button
    Click the Adapter tab, and click the Change button
    Click Next, in the update Device Driver Wizard
    Select the radio button for Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location...
    Click the Next button and click the Have Disk button
    In the Install From Disk box, click the Browse button, and point Windows to where you
    extracted the new driver files
    Click Okay, then Okay again, and in the Select Device window, select GeForce 256.
    Click Okay, and then click Next
    Let Windows install the new drivers, and click Finish
    Click Okay, Apply, and Okay
    When prompted to restart your computer, do so

7. Piano Man

Oh my Gosh Brian...LOL...what are you trying to do - confuse this poor boy? That's the most round about way of changing a video card in your system.

<font color="green"><i>"...take out card, put in new, reboot, windows will install it, done deal."</i></font>

Are you sure that win98 will automatically detect his new card after he installs it? I think not. Furthermore, I personally would not trust a 3rd party web site to DL the latest drivers for my video card. How can you trust that they will always have the most recent and correct one? Go get it directly from the manufacturer or company you bought your computer from.

<font color="green"><i>"Step One
    Right click <font color="red">your desktop</font>
    Choose Properties
    Choose Settings
    Choose Advanced
    Choose Adapter
    Click Change"</i></font>

Don't you mean R click on My Computer? R clicking on desktop will not bring up your device mangler.

<font color="green"><i>"The second step before installing the new drivers is making certain that there's no driver "residue" left behind from previous driver installs."</i></font>

If you use the add/remove hardware wizard, you won't have to worry about that. And will also eliminate any need to search for nv*.* files.

BrianF, why in the world you would post such a long directive is beyond me. Your method might work - but it's certainly one of the longest directions i've seen for changing a video card.

Foamer. Don't bother using your device mangler to change your adapter. This is not the most reliable way to add your new video card.

If you want a quick and effective way to do it, read my post below.

P.S. Actually I use a 32 MB <b>DDR</b> NVIDIA <b>Geforce2 GTS</b> 4x APG. When I told foamer to go with DDR, I assumed that foamer had chosen the GeForce2 aspect already. I was trying to tell him to go with both features since he's not tight on budget. Foamer, if you had my card, you'd be foaming at the mouth - just imagine your games would be really rockin then!

[Edited by Piano Man on 06-13-2001 at 11:39 PM]

8. Piano Man

>First get the most recent driver for your new video card.
    (Your new card should come with one already).
    >Then go to Control Panel>Add/remove hardward wizard
    >Highlight your current video card listed
    >Click remove.
    >Wait for it to finish.
    >Do not reboot your PC when prompted.
    >Go to your Device Manager and look for Video adapter.
    >Click once on the plus sign next to it.
    >You will see your model listed.
    >Just Select it. Don't double click.
    >Now right click and select remove.
    >Reboot your PC.
    >Take out old card.
    >Insert the new card.

>Start up your computer.
    >When Windows starts up, it will say "Windows has detected new hardware...do you wish to install it now?" Click No.

>Go to Control Panel>Add/remove hardward wizard
    >Click on Add new hardware.
    >Scroll down and select Video card or Video adaptor
    Now simply point to where your new driver is located. If it's on a diskette, type A: then let windows find it. **

After it's installed, reboot your PC.
    Go to your Device manager and your new card should now be listed.

**Note: Foamer if you don't have the new drivers on a diskette, and wish to save it to your hard drive, make sure you save it on to a temp directory or some other non-systems folder.

When you using the Add/Remove hardware wizard, it will automatically remove the old drivers. There's no need for you to go and hunt down any old nv*.* files. And even if you did, you would probably miss one or two.

Trust me foamer, this is the most effective method.

Good Luck.

[Edited by Piano Man on 06-13-2001 at 11:46 PM]

9. Foamer

Again thanks for the support! I got my eye on Geforce MXC 64MB SDR video card. I think that should do the trick.

Piano man... My mistake for typing Win98. Never used it. Last Windows I used was Win95B. But even at that I did note in my report that is was a bloated OS. This is true. But as far as the operation of the OS, I see no problems from this end. In my case, 128MB seem sufficient. The system never has to spool back to the hard disk, and loads all applications quick, and without delay. Never locked up, never crashed. And since I have never used Win2000, I would not know about it's capabilities. But I does seem like you had your mind made up about this OS before you asked. Makes me wonder why you asked. It works fine for me. Wether it did for you, I can't say. But telling me that it is a bad and bloated OP is not going to change the fact that it still works well for me. Sort of looked like you were trying to make me look a fool. If your intention is to let me know that Win2000 is a better OS, you could have just said that.

At any rate. Thanks again for the support.

10. brianF

brianF

Foamer if winme works for you that's great, some it does, some it doesn't. You can also get lots of info on gforce cards here http://www.tweak3d.net/faq/faq.cgi

PianoMan I posted a cut from the faq, not ever card installs by the rules, it was posted in the event the user had a problem. It works especially with systems with lots of leftover legacy drivers or older hardware.

As far as drivers I find nvidia reference drivers to be superior to manufacturers drivers. I have also downloaded from all of those sites that have beta drivers for download and never had a problem

Generally nvidia's released drivers are several versions behind their beta's. While I am not suggesting anyone who isn't having a problem run the beta's in general they have added features for some newer software.
    I was running 12.xx while nvidia still was offering 6.5 for download. some of the beta's didn't cut it and where removed quickly but it was a driver issue, not a bad file download.

11. Piano Man

I didn't mean to offend you. I apologize for that. My points about windows me was not to insult you but you caught me in a moment of my "I hate windows me" rant. As you can see from my rave review, i love it a lot. OK - done with that subject.

As for your new video card (mentioned above), if that's your fancy - go for it dude. You might want to also consider buying a GeForce3 model instead. I visit a few different forums here & there, and most of the comments i have heard about GeForce3 are good. In fact, one forum i visited had some guyz talking about it and how difficult it was to buy it because stores can't keep enough of them on the shelf.

Since money is no object for you, I would consider that and/or the DDR feature. Double Data Rate is faster than Synchronous Data Rate. Good luck.

[Edited by Piano Man on 06-15-2001 at 03:38 AM]

12. Foamer

LOL no prob Piano man. I'm thick skinned at times... I really do appreciate being told like it is. And I really appreciate the support I'm getting. I see now, the card I was looking at was SDR-(Single Data Rate?) DRR... Ok... yea. I will look into that DDR Geforce3 and that web site. Because EVERYONE is saying the same. And thanks for the support pianoman, brian. Hope I will not have to come back and cry a help me I screwed up. I installed printers, scanners, CD's, hardrives, modems, soundcards and joysticks. Never a video card. Am printing up this thread for guidance.

Thanks again! :)

13. Piano Man

Foamer, if you're contemplating a 64 MB card, sounds like you're a serious gamer.

If so, then i've got the game for you. Serious Sam. I just bought it on sale last month for just $10 bucks! (CompUSA). Even for the occasional PC gamer, this game is a must have. It's totally action packed and awesome! You're gonna love playing it especially after you get your new video card. The graphics in this game are really quite awesome. Perhaps you already have it? If not, and you'd like to know more, you can get more information at <a href="http://www.pcnineoneone.com">this</a>web site. Be patient as the first page takes a while to download.

P.S. Although it's not on sale anymore, i've seen it on sale before for $20 as well.

[Edited by Piano Man on 06-16-2001 at 11:51 AM]

14. brianF

brianF

Sams a blast, waiting for the next one. :)

15. Piano Man

Hey Brian, have you gotten to the end yet? I'm hooked on this game and it takes me like 15 minutes just to unwind after i play it.

I found the most effective method to kill those monsters that look like molten lava is to throw grenades at them.

By the way, i met the programmers of the game. They're in a room locked up and when you find them, they don't do much, they just walk around.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/46021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice