1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Windows Logon Shell

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Scary_Std, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scary_Std

Scary_Std Thread Starter

I am trying to change the default windows logon shell value (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\Shell) to an image file. I am well aware that explorer.exe will no longer start, But would like to be able to choose what starts up on the machine. This is not for malicious purposes, it is for a training session at my University on malware, and the typical things that viruses can do, such as changing this shell value to say, a fake Anti-virus program .exe.

Basically, I am wanting to find out if the default Windows shell value can be changed to anything other than a .exe

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice