1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing Windows XP time sync

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by holy_saiyan1, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holy_saiyan1

holy_saiyan1 Thread Starter

Windows XP is set to check the time server every week, but that is not good enough for some people, myself included. I found this registry tweak to be of use. Before you start, make a backup of the registry so it's there in case you mess up your computer.

Run regedit, and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters, and create a new key. Entitle it "Period", and make it be REG_DWORD type. Set the string value to one of the below options:

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. JohnWill

5. holy_saiyan1

holy_saiyan1 Thread Starter

What I meant by "x=x" is that the number you put in is the number of times a day it checks for time. I didn't like the way that the source explained it, so I put it that way. Apologies for the confusion.

To each his own. I don't like to download new tools if I can do the same thing just as well or better with existing tools. I suppose some people aren't comfortable editing the registry, but if you are, why have a program do it for you, when you can do it yourself? :cool:

6. JohnWill

Maybe because it's much easier?

7. JohnWill

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543335