1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing wireless networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dsquared, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

I have a home wireless network that allows me to access the internet from my desktop as well as my laptop. It has been working fine. Recently on a business road trip, I stayed in three hotels that had wireless networks. I was able to connect to the first two hotel networks by clicking on the wireless taskbar icon and selecting the "available" network from the list. At the third location I had trouble. The wireless connection indicated "excellent" signal strength but IE would not open to a web site. I tried several things to no avail. Now that I'm back home I'm having the same problem with my home network. I chose the home network from the list and it says I have a wireless connection with excellent signal strength but IE will not open to a web site. Can anyone help?

2. doggard

doggard

Have you rechecked you WEP settings as this usually indicates a block by either firewall or secuirty setting?

3. 802.11g Monk

802.11g Monk

I agree with doggard,
    it sounds like your security settings got changed. on a WiFi network, you will be able to show strong connectivity, but IE will simply come up with nill if your settings aren't matched to that of the router/access point, etc

Monk

4. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

I struggled with this problem for a week and soon after posting it on this site I got it working. I guess I just don't understand networking very well. What wound up fixing it was that I right clicked the wireless network connection and in the context menu I chose "disconnect from bridge" (or words to that effect). That did it. What exactly is a bridge and why did I have to disconnect my wireless connection from it. And if my wireless network won't work with it, why and how did it get there?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice