1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Word 2000 Default font?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Gary R, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Word 2000 default font is Times New Roman 12.
    How can it be changed to, say, Georgian, Courier New, or other fonts & the size you want for it?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Blank document.
    Format font.
    Choose your options.
    Hit the DEFAULT button, bottom-left of screen.

:D

3. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Hmmm.... think I have it ... instructions are a bit sparse, but will try it.
    :
    Another question re this ... There's something in Word called a normal.dot (or .exe?) which I think is associated with any changes to Word, and I was just wondering if changing default fonts automatically changes the font/size in other document's. First time I've ever tried changing this setting in any version of Word :)

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

you ARE changing your global template / default template known as normal.dot

when you select your desired font, size, etc
    then click on default as DB said
    - you get a message confirming your change and reminding you that the change will affect all documents based on the default (normal) template. you then say yes or no

note: this affects new documents, existing documents will use whatever font settings they were last saved with

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Sorry, Gary.

Sometimes I'm answering when maybe I shouldn't be (in a hurry 'cause I'm at work or wanna get some dern sleep). In this case, it's just really easy to do. You'll note there's a bunch of DEFAULT buttons in page setup and other places too. They do the same, and ask the question jbcalg mentions.

And here's some info on normal.dot that I put at (shhh!) another site and just pasted here:

Normal.dot is the default or global template that Word uses to create a blank document. Normal.dot is always in use when Word is open, even if you are using another template. It is very common for normal.dot files to become corrupt. They also store macro viruses.

When you launch Word, it looks for normal.dot and opens it. For more information on normal.dot and Word 2000, see the MS Technet Article at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q214/2/15.ASP.

If Word cannot locate a normal.dot file, it creates a brand new one. When you first install Word, normal.dot is not installed with it. Uninstalling does not delete normal.dot. These facts explain why reinstalling Office or Word does not fix a problem with a corrupt or virus-infected normal.dot file. Your newly installed program finds normal.dot right where it was before.

You may have settings in your normal.dot that you would like to keep. That is why, instead of deleting normal.dot, it is recommended that you rename it to abnormal.dot or normal1.dot. Then, you can use the Organizer to copy such things as macros and toolbars from the old template to the new one.

:D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/71468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice