1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing Word file types

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ekarp, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekarp

ekarp Thread Starter

I had old word perfect files that converted to word -- however i had organized them using file extensions (such as .frm to signify forms). I have renamed them without the extensions and assigned them to word but under the type heading they still show as WPD File. How can i change the file to show as word file types

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    First, open Windows Explorer.
    Hit Tools-Folder options.
    Hit the View tab.
    Make sure you're VIEWING file extensions.
    This should bring some light to what's occurring.

Also:

I STRONGLY recommend NOT doing what you're doing anymore. Windows has always been such that it depends on file extensions to know what kind of file it is.

Instead of using file extensions to tell you what type of file it is, use folders instead.

Put all your forms in a folder called forms, or put the frm in the filename BEFORE the file extension.

Windows recognizes Word documents as having a DOC extension. If you use this method, you can then simply double-click a DOC file to have it open in Word. If you use FRM, Windows won't know what the heck program it should use.

I could tell you how to set Windows to open FRM files from Word, but that is a WAY bad idea because Windows counts so much on file extensions....

3. ekarp

ekarp Thread Starter

Thanks --- I had stopped using extensions to organize my files (some of these go back to the 8.3 naming rule).

Thanks for the help and tips

Elliot :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice