changing XP [MY DOCS] default location

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TO Lady

Use my C drive for programs only, and my D drive for data (reasons are obvious). In XP Pro, can I change the default location of MY DOCUMENTS to head on over to the D drive instead of the C MY DOCS. Changing the drive & location every time I save a file is a pain in the backside. I have changed the default inside some programs but not all allow this. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Sandi:confused:

Open up your Registry to these two points:-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

And double-click "Personal" then point it to the location of your choice, reboot.

Tushman

Banned
If you are uncomfortable w/ making changes to the resgistry, here's an alterative.

Go to your Start menu and type "gpedit.msc" in the run command line w/out the quotes. This will open your Group Policy Console.

Click on the "+" symbol by User Configuration and drill down to the Folder Redirection option as described below.

User Configuration
-->Windows Settings
---->Folder Redirection

Select the D: partition or particular directory you want and Click OK.

Alternatively, if you have My Docs on your desktop, you can R-click on it and select "Properties" and click "Move".

You will need to reboot your system to see these changes take effect.

TO Lady

Thanks Tushman but there is no "Folder Redirection" section as per the screenshot attached. (WinXP Pro with no network)

Thanks Dirk, but not quite ready to fool around with the registry just yet (looking for less invasive methods before trying this one), while fiddling around I discovered this (since WinXP Help file was of no use)...
Open Explorer,
right click on [MY DOCUMENTS] folder,
[PROPERTIES],
and then [Target Folder Location] and aim it at the new Documents folder on D drive. This worked, so I guess you guys can add this new step to your inventory of helpful hints.
Thanks so much for your input, Cheers, Sandi

Attachments

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm not sure why you guys don't just right click on My Documents and select Properties. You can then specify the target of My Documents to be anywhere you like, even on another networked machine. :) I see that was discovered already...

TO Lady

Thanks JohnWill. As mentioned in my most recent post, I did discover that method. It's funny how the WinXP Help system never mentioned that! Cheers, Sandi:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online