1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

changing XP [MY DOCS] default location

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TO Lady, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TO Lady

TO Lady Thread Starter

Use my C drive for programs only, and my D drive for data (reasons are obvious). In XP Pro, can I change the default location of MY DOCUMENTS to head on over to the D drive instead of the C MY DOCS. Changing the drive & location every time I save a file is a pain in the backside. I have changed the default inside some programs but not all allow this. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Sandi:confused:

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Open up your Registry to these two points:-
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

And double-click "Personal" then point it to the location of your choice, reboot.

3. Tushman

Tushman Banned

If you are uncomfortable w/ making changes to the resgistry, here's an alterative.

Go to your Start menu and type "gpedit.msc" in the run command line w/out the quotes. This will open your Group Policy Console.

Click on the "+" symbol by User Configuration and drill down to the Folder Redirection option as described below.

User Configuration
    -->Windows Settings
    ---->Folder Redirection

Select the D: partition or particular directory you want and Click OK.

Alternatively, if you have My Docs on your desktop, you can R-click on it and select "Properties" and click "Move".

You will need to reboot your system to see these changes take effect.

4. TO Lady

TO Lady Thread Starter

Thanks Tushman but there is no "Folder Redirection" section as per the screenshot attached. (WinXP Pro with no network)

Thanks Dirk, but not quite ready to fool around with the registry just yet (looking for less invasive methods before trying this one), while fiddling around I discovered this (since WinXP Help file was of no use)...
    Open Explorer,
    right click on [MY DOCUMENTS] folder,
    [PROPERTIES],
    and then [Target Folder Location] and aim it at the new Documents folder on D drive. This worked, so I guess you guys can add this new step to your inventory of helpful hints.
    Thanks so much for your input, Cheers, Sandi

Attached Files:

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not sure why you guys don't just right click on My Documents and select Properties. You can then specify the target of My Documents to be anywhere you like, even on another networked machine. :) I see that was discovered already...

6. TO Lady

TO Lady Thread Starter

Thanks JohnWill. As mentioned in my most recent post, I did discover that method. It's funny how the WinXP Help system never mentioned that! Cheers, Sandi:D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice