1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Changing XP to Win 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JosieM, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

I purchased a new HP pc with Win XP Home loaded on it. I have had conflicts with some of the software that I have installed from my older pc (printer and some applications). This weekend I experienced another problem after installing a transcription application. Get lengthy error message. My question is: How feasible is it to install Win 98, which everything worked on, and remove XP?

Thanks for any recommendations anyone has to offer.
    J Mills

2. TechChick

TechChick

You may have problems with some of the new hardware working with Windows 98. You'll have to search HP's web site for Windows 98 drivers and likely install them manually once you install Windows 98. Is it possible to get upgrades or updates for the software that isn't working under Windows XP?

3. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

I would exaust all options before going with Win98 like techchick is suggesting with driver and software updates. If you can't find updates you can always using the compatability wizard. To bring up the wizard in XP go to help an enter "compatability" for instructions. If you have found that everything will work with 98 then that would be MY 2nd option but that is just my nature.

4. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for the info. I did the "compatibility" thing (so glad to know about that!), but still getting error messages (but a different one anyway). I'm contacting the distributor to find a fix. Don't think it a wise thing to go back to Win 98! Thanks again for the insight.

Josie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice