1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Character's in game moving too fast

Discussion in 'Games' started by halpmehplz, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. halpmehplz

halpmehplz Thread Starter

I just got Gametap and was playing Icewind Dale II when I realized the game was going WAY too fast, just about double the speed I remember it. Nothing to do with frames, it's just everything is moving at incredible rates. The sound is normal, though. I think it's because my processor is dual-core. I did ctrl+alt+delete and was going to set affinity to 1, but it was already set as that. I also downloaded AMD Dual Core optimizer to no avail.

Anyone want to help out? Other old games using the same engine (also off of Gametap) like Planescape and Baldur's Gate II work just fine.

2. halpmehplz

Bumpity.

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Icewind Dale II, which was written for Win95/98 for a Pentium II system is a really, really old game. It was not designed for XP or a dual-processor. (Incidentally, the AMD optimizer only works on programs that use both cores.)

Note that there is a patch, 2.01. Have you tried it?

Courtney

4. halpmehplz

I believe so, yes. Even if I hadn't, Gametap doesn't let you install addons or mods or patches to the games you download.

The thing is, I run Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 1, and Planescape just fine. They all use the same engine and are older than Icewind Dale 2.

5. halpmehplz

6. Codemaster

Codemaster

Have you asked gametap?

7. Monso

Monso

I'm not 100% sure this will work, but I've heard stories related to this in Counter-Strike communities and there's a general solution:

Open up the processes, right-click the process --> Set Affinity.. --> uncheck 1 of the CPUs.

8. halpmehplz

Already tried it, but thanks.

And there's nothing Gametap can do. It's not a problem on their end.

9. halpmehplz

10. windgod14

windgod14

Some of the much older games try to literatly use all the comptuer has to offer..
    Heh, i have a pacman that uses EVERYTHING, its insane how fast the thing goes, blink of an eye and your dead.

But i have no clue otherwise...hey i tried

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice