characters instead of text

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wsater

I have been trying to d/l foxfire and/or netscape but when they d/l all I get are charaters..cant read anything unless I type a site in the add bar then some text will come up but it will include alot of characters also..any tips? I have d/l the newest version of java..adobe acrobat reader all to no avail. The add bar at the top are all in characters also..cant read where it says file..edit etc..any hep would be greatly appreciated I really would like to have foxfire. I am using Win 98SE. Oh yeah if I copy and past the characters to say an email..that will show up in english text.. Thank you so very much, Wendy

So you are trying to download them using internet explorer, and internet explorer is a bunch of characters, the whole program? Are you able to run windows update, it looks like you may need language packs or you accidently set the language to something other than western type - US. is this a problem with the rest of windows?

In Firefox, click on tools> options> General > Languages button> make sure that English/United States [en/us] and English [en] are set. On character encoding> make sure Western (ISO-8859-1) is selected as default. See if this helps.

iXneonXi said:
He is trying to download firefox i thought.
I don't know, he was saying he typed in the address bar, so I thought he had downloaded and was trying to use it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online