Solved Charger problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mtq

So i have a lenovo laptop and the Charger stopper working im wondering if i can use a different Charger to power it?
Broken charger: 20v 2.25a
Charger i want to use: 20v 3.25a

It should work if the 20v:
1) end will fit into the charging port on the laptop, and
2) positive and negative contacts are the same as the original.

plodr

Liz
Polarity.jpg For item 2 above, look for one of these symbols on the chargers. They have to match.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The Voltage has to be the same at 20 Volts, the current needs to be 2.25 Amps or more, so the one you listed will work ok provided the polarity of the connector is correct as mentioned above (most are centre positive but do check first). The connector also has to fit the socket on the laptop of course !

Mtq

Can anything burn if the Amps are above or under 2.25?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Can anything burn if the Amps are above or under 2.25?
No but if the Amps is lower it won't charge as fast or maybe not at all. If the Amps is higher that doesn't matter, the laptop will only use what it needs.

The ratings you gave for the 'new' charger in post #1 are fine.

Mtq

Last question, right now the New Charger connector doesnt fit, can i just pop on the old one? (old Charger connector)

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Last question, right now the New Charger connector doesnt fit, can i just pop on the old one? (old Charger connector)
Do you already have the 'new' charger ? If not get one with the correct connector by searching for it using the laptop's make and model.

If you already have the 'new' charger you can swap the tips just make sure you connect the right wires to the inner and outer connections, easiest way to do that is to use a voltmeter to check the polarity (+ or -) as mentioned in Liz's post #3.

If you are not confident to do that properly get a new charger with the correct connector.

Last edited:

Mtq

Thanks for the help i changed the connector with the old one, everything works!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online