Charger problems!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Molliemole1996

I have a netbook ideapad 100s a few months ago it was charging on a shelf and my daughter knocked the charger off. . The charger then made a big bang and I had to throw it out as it didn't work anymore.. the laptop still worked and I used it until the battery total died.. I bought a new charger for it two days ago. I put the charger in but the charger light doesn't come on.. I thought I would leave it for a while as it hasn't been turned on for months but the part where it's plugged into started to get really hot and still wouldn't turn on so I unplugged it because I work it will explode or something. . Is there anything you can suggest? I know the laptop wasn't damaged when the charger blew up because I kept using it after the that until the battry was dead

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Your best bet would have been to make sure you got the same exact charger as the old one, meaning not just the same plug but the same wattage and amp ratings. The fact that you said it wont charge it but makes it hot suggests something is incompatible.

You may need to contact the manufacturer to obtain the correct charger info and then use that information to locate a compatible replacement online.

Chargers come in different forms from the size of the plug that goes into the device you want to charge to the voltage and polarity of the plug itself. Just because a charger says it's 12 volts doesn't mean it's compatible with your device. Usually there will be a legend on the charger showing what is positive and what is negative and typically shows a C (meaning the outside of the plug) with a line and a dot to the inside of the C (meaning the center of the plug). Your device may also have a legend very near where the plug goes in and the two must match like positive center and negative outside or visa versa. That said the bang you heard when the charger hit the floor may have created a voltage spike which damaged not only the charger but the charger circuit inside your device. Check your polarity which definitely could get hot and even damage your device if it was reversed.

plodr

Liz
the part where it's plugged into started to get really hot
If this is the port on the Ideapad, it might be damaged when the charger was knocked loose.

You might need to have the charging port replaced.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online