1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Charging a Notebook on an Airplane

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blingman, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blingman

blingman Thread Starter

I have a long flight coming up, and need to keep my notebook charged up to entertain me. All I've found through searching so far is a bunch of stuff that plugs into cigarette lighters, but last time I checked, planes haven't got lighters, or the barrel shaped slots. What are my options if my budget is $40?

2. wim_mulder

wim_mulder

3. blingman

blingman Thread Starter

While it's an interesting idea, I get the feeling that some jumpy idiot might suspect me of terrorism for using one of those. I thought I heard about something a while ago, about a headphone jack-to-USB power converter, but I don't think that's possible, plus I can't seem to find it anywhere.

4. wim_mulder

wim_mulder

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Kiwi is correct you must use an outlet designed for a power adapter / charger. The reason is that on an aircraft the AC power is 115V 400 cycle 3 phase current. Most charges cannot use this power. Just because you see an outlet, does not mean you should use it.

On the A/C I fly there is an outlet in the galley however it is not designed for cell phones, laptops etc. It has fried many a FA’s cell phone :(

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the aircraft standard seat power plug is 12 VDC, not 115VAC. I bow to Chuck's knowledge on many things aviation related, but I have used these power plugs a number of times. I have a $30 Fellowes Model 99425 Laptop P/S, and it has an adapter for the car plug to plug into the seat power on commercial airline aircraft. I can assure you that 115VAC would blow it half across the plane. :D If you have a car P/S for the laptop, here's the adapter for seat power: http://www.bixnet.com/airinpowconf.html This looks exactly like the one I use.

8. JohnWill

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, what I meant was that it must be one of the ones next to a seat. The ones we have in the galley are used for extra coffee makers. They finally put a warning on them NOT to use for cell phone charging. This was after many cell phone chargers fried :)
    You would think there would be a different style plug however it is a standard US type plug.

10. JohnWill

Well, many laptop chargers will function just fine on 115VAC 400HZ, however obviously not all of them. :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice