1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Charging laptop battery

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by megzzz90, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. megzzz90

megzzz90 Thread Starter

i have a gateway laptop that is kind of old and recently the laptop charger basically melted into 2 parts right where i plug it into the laptop while i was charging it. my laptop worked fine after that till the battery died and i needed to recharge it. so i bought a laptop charger that was a match for it off of ebay but it wont charge. any suggestions for charging my laptop or anyway of getting the stuff off of my laptop???? thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Take the hard disk out and connect is using a USB adapter or 2.5" <-> 3.5" IDE adapter to your desktop.

3. oksteve

oksteve

Is the charger you bought the recommended one for your computer ?
    If not that is where you problem may lie.

As tempting as it is to save some money in buying a charger that seems to fit the bill its nothing compared to the cost of repairing your precious computer due to using that cheap charger.

4. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Why can't you just plug your laptop into an outlet to get your stuff off of it. For that matter, why do you need to get your stuff off of it? It's probably just the battery was damaged when the charger melted and you need a new battery.

Just plug the laptop in to an outlet and use it till you get a new battery.

5. JohnWill

Laura, you need to read the first message closer! The connection of power to the laptop is what is damaged, so plugging it in seems like a non-starter.

This is normally due to the power jack being damaged and shorting. No chance of connecting power that way.

6. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I did. He said that the laptop CHARGER, near the end (where it would be plugged in to the laptop) melted. To me, that means the CHARGER wire or whatever, melted, close to the end of it. That does not automatically follow that anything was wrong inside the laptop plug, itself. ;) He, in fact, said it was the charger that melted and that the laptop itself was fine, just that THAT battery now does not work. He never said he made any effort to see if the actual plug still worked by simply powering on the laptop while it was plugged into the wall WITHOUT the battery in the laptop.......just that the battery wouldn't charge. And before you say that would have been the obvious thing to have tried........may I remind you of some of the emails Karen and I get? :p ;)

7. JohnWill

Well, since I've seen a ton of these, and in every case the jack on the MB of the laptop has come loose and been the culprit, I wouldn't put any money on the plug on the charger, they're normally pretty bulletproof. ;)

8. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

It would be nice if he would come back and clarify.

9. JohnWill

Yes, clarification would be useful. :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice