1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Charging Multiple Phones Via One USB Cable

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by vegeta13613, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegeta13613

vegeta13613 Thread Starter

I am looking to put a little charging station in the storage compartment of my home theater sectional. I really would like to only run one USB cable to charge my devices (I recently bought this one). I am a bit worried I will not be buying the correct pieces for my needs. I would like to charge at least two smartphones (HTC One X and Note 2) at once and at their full charging rate. If I could get the power to charge more than two devices, that would be great, but that may be asking for a bit much.

My next step is purchasing a wall adapter. This adapter provides quite a bit of power, and will leave me with a second USB slot free.
    After that, is a USB hub. This hub looked like a good bet, as I could velcro it to the inside of my storage compartment and have easy access to three ports.

Is that setup enough to provide the power to quickly charge two power-hungry smartphones? Is there a better solution? I saw the Belkin charging station, but that has flaws of its own.

2. 4778

Hello, vegeta13613, your power supply seems like a good bet. But, Using a USB hub is a bad idea because USB hubs are really for data transfer and not for charging devices. If you use your charger with a USB hub, You'll lose alot of Amperage, as most Computer USB Ports ONLY supply 5V, 500mA per Port to any devices attached them. As a result, USB Hubs will only handel 1000mA at best.
    Your best bet is to use both ports on your charger and leave it at That.

Best of luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!