1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

charlesh23

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by charlesh23, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlesh23

charlesh23 Thread Starter

lost in extraction

Hello everyone -- this my first time on here and help would be appreciated vastly.

My wife has a thinkpad 22 (win98 second ed) which won't boot up. It tries to start in safe mode but then shuts down after flashing up ERROR LOADING KEYBOARD.DRV

Now I've been to microsoft support site for this and they do indeed have an answer. Using a win98 startup floppy and then a win98 cd rom, it advises me how to extract the cab file etc...using a simple path that starts ext...

The trouble is: the thinkpad can only take one drive at a time - either the floppy OR the CD-rom.

But I've managed to boot up directly from the cd-rom "with cd rom support", which puts me into DOS - around which I do not know my way.

I type in EXTRACT and that gives me the Ms Cabinet extraction Tool version 16. Not the same thing as the "ext" path the support page describes.

I have tried working with this using other web pages of advice, but I am still defeated.. The MS support people in Dublin were charming, but too rusty on DOS. IBM suggested reloading windows, but there is a lot of my wife's (un-backed up) work on the c drive which she really doesn't want to lose...

Any help/advice will be met with eternal gratitude

ch

2. Crack

Crack

At the risk of voiding your warranty, you could remove the hard drive and attach it to another computer. They sell these adapters that can convert the smaller IDE to a normal IDE and you can try to pull off the data, then put it back in the Thinkpad and reload the OS. Then move the info you want back to it.

3. charlesh23

charlesh23 Thread Starter

Thanks for that idea. Since posting I talked to a PC Boffin pon the phone and just reloaded windows from the cd without losing the originals. all seems fine now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice