1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Charter internet constantly dropping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kylie13, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kylie13

Kylie13 Thread Starter

So at my household, the internet connection fluctuates in how frequently it drops. Yesterday, we could not keep it going for more than 5 minutes without having to restart the router.\ (soon after restarting the router, the same issue happens again) /
    Basically, what happens is the internet on our laptops will stop working (it will show as Limited Connectivity) although the router continues to send the signal out.
    The only fix to this is to restart the router (using the on/off buttons on the physical router) although the problem isn't with the router itself. Going on my router's settings place (192.168.1.1) it shows that the internet is the issue. Im not really sure how to fix this... Ive tried mostly everything but nothing is a permanent fix.

Help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Also- if I were to switch service providers, which would be the best near Saint Louis, MO?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how does it show you this ?
    Whats the make and model of the router

If its not a router issue and a wireless issue - have you tried connecting a PC directly to the router with a cable and see what happens
    What lights are showing on the router when its working OK and what happens to the lights when it stops working

if its showing the status in the router as an internet issue -
    • then its either a Router issue ( but you say its not the router ???? )
    • A problem with the telephone cables or filters - if DSL and not Cable service
    • A problem with the ISP themselves
    Have you contacted the ISP and asked them to do a line test

Have you tried disconnecting everything from the telephone lines - except just the router

3. Kylie13

Kylie13 Thread Starter

Im sorry for the late reply on this..
    This is what I look at to tell that it's the actual internet's issue.
    http://prntscr.com/bb8jz4

When the internet goes limited/shuts off, the box with "Internet: Good" in it turns into a red X while the "Wireless" box stays green...

When I connect my PC directly into the modem, the issue remains. It may be an issue within my modem's settings that may cause it to become dis-synchronized with the router (since turning the router on and off manually fixes the internet temporarily?)

We also do not have a telephone line with this- we only use Charter for internet.

These are the "internet" settings
    http://prntscr.com/bb8kvc

These are the Router settings
    http://prntscr.com/bb8l12
    How would I go about this to ask them to do a line test?

Thank you so much for the help!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you phone them up and ask them to check out your line to make sure its working properly and that you are getting disconnects

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1171748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice