1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cheap Computer Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoolerMaster, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoolerMaster

CoolerMaster Thread Starter

I have a dell dimension xps r400. I want to get a pretty inexpensive computer that will run cs and warcraft 3 so i can do some lan games. I think i will need mostly new parts since the r400 is prettu outdated. I was think i can still used the cd-rom drive and the hard drive though. So what is the cheapest kind of computer i can get that will run those games pretty well?

CoolerMaster

2. brite750

brite750

Not sure what your doing are you trying to use the r400 case, psu, fdd, hdd, cdrom, i mean what new parts are you planning on buying?

3. CoolerMaster

well im thinking of keeping the hard drive and the optical drive. Other than that im not really attached to anything. I think i would like to get a new everything else probably. The other stuff in it is not really all that good. I could use the case and maybe the psu,200 watss :{. Well I would probably like to spend under 500 and if possible under 400. I really just want it to be able to play games like CS and warcraft and stuff so i can do lan games with my other computer. I've been looking on newegg, but im not sure what the best method is to get a cheap computer. Sorry for being so vague in my first post, but i was a little rushed for time.

CoolerMaster

4. brite750

brite750

the first thing i would do is start researching the hardware requirements for the various games you are planning on, gaming machines are usually much more money than $500, just a video card can cost that much. In general, an AMD XP2500+ barton, with 512DDR PC3200 ram and a decent video card, i.e. ATI Sapphire 9600XT or pro, or better should play the games your mentioning. For a case i like a medium priced Antec with a 350 to 400watt psu, dont go cheapy on the psu get an Antec, Enermax, Enlight, Coolmax, Sparkle Power, what i mean is don't buy a $25 case/psu combo. for moboz, i like Asus, Abit, Gigabyte, a few others, not pchips, asrock. My son just built a pc reusing all his old drives for about $300 w/o the video card so you should be able to make a pretty good one in that $500 range, just don't expect the performance of a $3000 Alienware gaming pc.

5. CoolerMaster

I actually have a $3000 one that i built this summer, so this one is going to be more of a secondary computer. Hehe. But i was think of the 9800 pro or something (<$200 on newegg) I'm hoping that i can get it from ebay for a bit less because i spent all my money on the other computer. Well thanks for the help.

CoolerMaster

6. CoolerMaster

What about one of those barebones shuttle pcs? Would they save me some money?

7. brite750

brite750

Yeah, the 9800 is at a nice price range now

8. CoolerMaster

9. Deathblow

Deathblow

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice