1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cheap computer question

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mokomaki1, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mokomaki1

Mokomaki1 Thread Starter

What games would a pc with
    AMD ATHLON II X2 250 AM3 (3000Mhz)
    Kingston 2GB DDR2 800Mhz ( mobo has ddr3 support though)
    SAMSUNG 500GB SATAII 16MB hard drive
    GeForce GT 220 512mb ddr2. ( The mobo has integrated GeForce 7025 Graphics but i plan on taking my GT 220 from my current computer. Yes i know that even the gt 220 is weak but its enough for me to play Crysis on medium settings..)
    ASrock N68C-S Motherboard
    5.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 / VIA® VT1705 Audio Codec)
    400W Power source.

What games would that run with like 30fps?
    I could add another gig of ram from this computer to make it 3gb but i think that would be worse if the 2gb is Dual channel?

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Not a bad processor but you can probably get a dual core Phenom for a fair price nowadays. The Phenom's L3 cache will definitely boost the performance of some games.

I'd go for at least 4GB of RAM for a new system ;) Make sure you get a 4GB kit or 2x2 identical 2GB modules so you can utilize dual DDR.

This card is weak, yes...But you will be fine as long as you play your games at lower resolutions with no AA or AF.

If you can afford it get a different motherboard...Gigabyte, Asus, MSI sell decent motherboards for good prices.

Can you post most specific info on that PSU? Like amperage of the +12V rail(s), manufacturer, efficiency etc. You can usually find such info on the sticker on the PSU (or it's manual ofc).

Again, performance highly depends on selected resolution and settings. My card is slower than the GF 220 and I had no problems playing quite modern games (Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, CoD MW2, PES 2010, Need for speed: Shift, Empire: Total Wat etc) with fine frame rates. I however had to turn off or reduce AA and AF and usually reduce some visual settings (usually shadows). My card can run Crysis quite well at medium settings, you get the idea.

Note that my monitor's native resolution is quite low though (1440x900), if your monitor's native resolution (if you have a TFT monitor ofc) is higher you may experience somewhat reduced performance with similar settings.

In other words, your system can't be considered high end but IMHO you won't have any problems with most modern video games. A lot of modern PC titles are console ports anyway, their hardware requirements aren't extreme at all.

If you can spend a few extra bucks consider getting a better graphics card like the Radeon HD 5670. ;)

And no, 3GB of RAM isn't suggested, for various reasons...

3. Mokomaki1

Mokomaki1 Thread Starter

Yeah. Big thanks for the info man :) And indeed i play at 1152x864 with no AA so good good :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice