1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cheap MS software - maybe?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by AlbertB, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Has anyone else received e-mails from a company calling itself "SoftwareBuy" recently? They are advertising stuff like Office 2002 for $40 and XP Pro for $25. Their website looks legit and they seem to have a full range of apps. Are they on the level and is it registerable, (I would hate to upset Uncle Bill)? They do say that all of their software comes with only a backup CD, no packaging or docs. It seems too good to be true to me, can anyone offer any info or explanation?

(Incidentally this is not a sneaky free ad as I am nothing to do with them personally, just interested in buying!)

2. Autoeng

Autoeng

There are 2 companies on www.resellerratings.com with the a variance of the name that you list. Provide a link to the website and then we can tell if either are them.

Just checked out the 2 links at resellerratings and one is dead the other has XP for $99 so I would assume that this is a new company or maybe operated under another name in the past.

Autoeng

3. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

4. Autoeng

Autoeng

Looks pretty fly by night to me. I wouldn't send them any of my hard earned cash but you can always fight stop the charge to your credit card.

Autoeng

5. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

That's what I'd thought, but I just wondered if anyone had had experience. Can you suggest anyone else who can supply legitimate MS software cheaply? particularly Office stuff. Doesn't have to be latest versions but must be for XP. I'm based in UK so posting there from US must be ok.

6. patch-man

patch-man

As of 9:45AM central time, that site is already offline. Didn't take Yahoo long to shut them down.

7. Autoeng

Autoeng

Newegg is highly rated and sells about as cheap as anyone. 9software is ok rated and a little ($1) cheaper.

Autoeng

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Have you checked eBay? I've seen Office 97 on there. Don't go for the academics unless you qualify tho.

9. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

That student/teacher price seems a bit of a joke to me. I can understand why academics could be given a discount, lack of income and all that, but you could buy it one day as a student and not be a student the next. Does that mean you're defrauding them?

I will end up going for something like Office97 I suspect. I have seen copies of it myself on eBay in the past. Thanks again

10. RandyG

RandyG

AlbertB - yes, you would be in breach of your EULA if you continued to use the Teacher/Student software when you are no longer a Teacher/Student.

That's why Dreamboat made the distinction.

11. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Ah ha! Thanks for making that clear. So, in truth, Micro$oft's academic discount price isn't a discount at all, only a deferred full price purchase.

"Discount - to deduct a percentage or amount from the price."

According to my Collins dictionary a discount means that the price has been reduced permanently - full stop. Anyone have enough spare cash to take them on under trade description or truthful advertising conflicts . Here in the UK at least they are in breach of our Trade Descriptions Act which insists that any description of a product or service given by the manufacturer or vendor is truthful and clear to the purchaser. I wonder if that use of the word "discount" is in the spirit of the act?

12. RandyG

RandyG

Just an update here, in case anyone has ever considered using one 9software to buy anything.

There phone number on the site is bogus, and the ones listed in the Who Is database is out of service. There is no way to validate these guys, so I would not recommend ever purchasing anything off them.

13. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Also a hint that they are a less than reputable company is that they are hosted on Geocities and don't even have there own domain name.

14. RandyG

RandyG

Some reliably good ones I found while searching Yesterday are:

Ebuyer for UK and US only (but allows Irish buyers!;))

Vios Software heavy shipping charges for Internatioanl. but still good.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice