1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cheap or free Photo Software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by chewie1012, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I am looking for software that is vista compliant and will allow me to make photo slide shows and add music to them. I would prefer freeware but would be happy to pay if it weren't too expensive. Any Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. caraewilton

caraewilton

Well there are lots of options out there actually.
    If you want to use a computer to view this slide show then windows movie maker will do the job perfectly. You can then use windows media player to view the result.
    Another free option is irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) which is very easy to use. Basically it requires opening up the slideshow window, first add the mp3 of choice, then add you photos. You can then save your slide show as a small stand alone app which any person can view, you can create a screen saver out of it or if you have nero save it to disc to watch using your dvd player and tv.

If you want to watch this slideshow through a dvd player and tv, please note that the quality of the pics goes to hell. It has to do with the limited options of dvd aspect ratios etc... Further TV use far less pixels than computers, so while the result is shoddy on your pc, it may still look fine on the TV.

If you don't have nero or you want to use windows movie maker, but still want to create something to be watched on a tv, then you can use super to convert the files: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/super.cfm

Here is another programme that can create avi slide shows: Here is something I found recently Foto2Avi
    http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareFoto2Avi.php?b2=1

Here follows some instruction on using wvm and super:

How to create a slide show for DVD output using 100% free software.

This is a multi step process.

What software do you need:
    -Microsoft Movie Maker (MMM) Version 5.1 (2.1) - Part of the Windows XP service pack 2.
    -Super v2007.build.23(July4,2007) by eRightSoft - Can be downloaded from:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...ders/super.cfm

Once you have got the required software you can begin.

Open up MMM.
    Ensure Tasks pane is visible. If not click on the tasks icon at the top of the window.
    Set the time you want each slide to display. [tools] [options] {advanced}
    Import pictures
    Import audio or music
    Experiment with transitions etc.
    Save to my computer.

Second open Super. Use this programme to encode the wmf into a DVD readable format.
    I got acceptable results as follows:
    Select the Output Container - Automode
    Preset profile - DVD - PAL(This works on my TV, but this is a regional setting so some experimentation may be required)
    Drop A Valid Multimedia File Here - Right click {add multimedia file}
    Encode
    By default Super saves the new encoded VOB file to your C: drive.

Lastly use your DVD writing software to burn a DVD-R finalised disk with the session finalised.

Okay now I have done this and it does work in my dvd player.
    All software used is 100% full version and free.

I recommened you are prepared to fiddle and experiment. There are lots of options available. I have tried to get a good result using the easiest method.

Super is a rather quirky programme. But it gets the job done so just ignore the various errors reported and click okay.

Good luck.

3. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. Do you know if Irfanview works with Vista?

4. caraewilton

caraewilton

Yes Irfanview works with vista

5. SSSteve

SSSteve

I tried all I could find for months then started buying different software bought about 4 or 5.Was never very happy with them I ran across Proshow Gold and have quit looking have made maybe a hundred slide shows.It can do most ever thing a person needs to do_Oh and BTW theree is a forum on the PSG that is unbeatable all ways some one ready to help and guide you.Oh and BTW there is a PSG forum that is unbeatable all ways some one to help and guide you.
    Steve

6. caraewilton

caraewilton

Although it does cost $70 (according to their website).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice