Cheap PSU, will it slow pc?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bigbear

Hi guys
Just put together a pc for my daughter out of bits and pieces I had.
IMO the rig below should be of of reasonable speed for internet and word docs, for some reason it seems sluggish.
It has a no name cheap 500w psu and I wondered whether this would cause it to crawl at a snails pace.
This is a clean install so should not a virus problem
AMD Athlon 64 3000 939 pin
Abit AV8 motherboard
1G Corsair pc 3200 ram
XP sp2
Thanks for any advice

That seems very unlikely. Better look elsewhere.

Anything using a lot of CPU in Task Manager?

Have you run a complete chkdsk /r on that drive? Though NTFS is very fault-tolerant, if there are disk errors, things slow dramatically while XP works around the errors.

bigbear said:
Hi guys
Just put together a pc for my daughter out of bits and pieces I had.
IMO the rig below should be of of reasonable speed for internet and word docs, for some reason it seems sluggish.
It has a no name cheap 500w psu and I wondered whether this would cause it to crawl at a snails pace.
This is a clean install so should not a virus problem
AMD Athlon 64 3000 939 pin
Abit AV8 motherboard
1G Corsair pc 3200 ram
XP sp2
Thanks for any advice
I WOULD THINK THE HDD HAS TO BE LOOKED AT, RUN THE MAKERS DIAG ON IT.

bigbear

Hard drive!! could be on to something here.
The one I installed came from an external enclosure that was giving me problems.
It seemed to work ok when I installed windows
I will run ckdisk and see what it finds
Thanks for the help

The specs for the mobo indicate it supports DDR RAM - you state that you have PC3200 RAM installed which is SDRAM terminology. It shouldn't fit the slots but have you actually got the correct RAM installed?

kev1952 said:
The specs for the mobo indicate it supports DDR RAM - you state that you have PC3200 RAM installed which is SDRAM terminology. It shouldn't fit the slots but have you actually got the correct RAM installed?
pc2100-ddr266, pc2700-ddr333, pc3200-ddr400, etc.

Check in device manager ide/atapi controllers that the drive is not running in pio mode instead of dma mode.

brite750 said:
pc2100-ddr266, pc2700-ddr333, pc3200-ddr400, etc.
Agreed! But RAM referred to as PC3200 etc is usually referring to SDRAM. Hence the question....:)

kev1952 said:
Agreed! But RAM referred to as PC3200 etc is usually referring to SDRAM. Hence the question....:)
wha?
sdram was like , pc100, pc133, then there was some rdram or ram bus thrown in there some where

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online