1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cheap sound card needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atom1kyak, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atom1kyak

atom1kyak Thread Starter

i have the logitech z-2300 2.1 sound system, and it's great. the only problem is, i'm worried that my onboard sound isn't doing it justice.
    i know that it's only 2 speakers and a subwoofer, but is there a sound card out there that doesn't focus on being '7.1 surround' compatible?
    the main problem i have noticed is that the subwoofer doesn't have the clean..."oomph" of my parent's 30-dollar version.

i have an asus A8N5X motherboard--it has 7.1 onboard.

i suppose my question should be summarized thus: with 7.1 onboard sound, would there be an increase in quality without spending over $50?

any advice is appreciated.

ps. my paren't sound system is hooked up to a sound card, unlike mine.

2. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

The simple answer is no.

The thing to look at when getting a sound card is to check the SNR (signal to noise ratio). The higher that number is, the better the sound quality. The highest SNR I can see for a sound card is 118+dB (best...It will always get better). My card that I have is 108dB (better). general rule of thumb is anything over 100dB (good).

But of course with quality comes a price. sound cards with SNR of 100 are about $30. Then for SNR about 108 is $60-100 (I think the sweet spot for sound cards). and then if you have money to burn and have GREAT hearing. SNR of 118+ is +$200

There are SNR all in between, but just keep that in mind higher SNR, the better.

If you want to get the best bang for your buck, spend around $70 on newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102007

That card would be good for listening to music, and watching movies, but not playing video games.

Edit: I did buy my sound card off of ebay around $50 when normally it was $80-$90. BUT there were a few bent pins for a midi device that I would never use. That might be a place to look for a nicely priced sound card for you.

3. atom1kyak

atom1kyak Thread Starter

exactly the advice i needed.

i think i'll mow a few lawns, see if i can scrounge up enough to get one of the nicer sound cards (108db).

thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice