1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cheapest Dual

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whiteskin, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

Where and how would one go abot building a cheap but good dual processor system?

I'm interested in learning. I wouldnt need to buy windows pro because i'd use somthing like freebsd or linux on it instead.

Anyone else every tried somthing like this?

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

Cheapest Dual would be an older PIII board with dual PIII CPUs... of course dual PIIIs would not be as fast as a single modern CPU.

You get DUAL because you need horse power more than money savings, hence they aren't "really" cheap... why do you think AMD and Intel sells server class CPUs for $1000~3000 to allow 4~8 way CPU processing.

The best value dual CPU would be AMD MP CPUs... About $180 for an AMD MP 2600, each.

3. dzones

dzones

i recently got a dual p3 board good up to 1ghz per cpu for like 55 bucks in the retail box.

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Not trying to discourage the use of TSG website but this website is/has been great for ALL dual cpu associated subjects(that's what the site is dedicated to). Link:

http://www.2cpu.com/

Dual cpus are used mostly in Servers and Macintosh systems. If you want to build a screamer, use dual cpus and setup your hard drives in RAID, use Server memory and turn on the air conditioning!

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

Yeah, just was curious. IT seems to me for what i do it could make some sense to just invest in an older dual cpu computer, rather than go out and buy a brand new one.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Well... that depends... Its easier to do so if you already have some PIIIs laying around. $55 is a good price for a dual board.

The fastest P3 (1.4Ghz) is about $220 (each). The 1Ghz P3s are about $75

$150 x2 PIII 1ghz
    $ 20 x2 cool HSFs
    $ 55 - Motherboard
    ---------------------
    $225

vs.

$ 85 - AMD XP2500 CPU with HSF
    $ 85 - Nforce2 mobo (Add $40, get firewire, dual LAN & RAID)
    ---------------------------------
    $170

Even x2 PIII 1.4Ghz CPUs would not keep up with todays. P4 2.4 or AMD 2400 single CPU systems. Dual CPUs don't mean double the computing performance... Usually a 25~50% increase, due to the overhead. Also, unless the software supports it, they would only talk to the first CPU. (unless you assign it specifically with a tool or OS - which could be handy... tell [email protected] to run on #2 CPU) :)

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

Again, i was planning on running on one of the great os's. those that support smp right out of the box.

I think i'll wait, perhaps until i have enough processors.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice