1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cheapest option for 20TB+ of local storage space?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajrobson, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

From being about 15 until a few years ago I use to buy multiple DVDs every week (damn you HMV and Virgin 5 for £20!) Before my son was born we moved house and the room I made my office has this full length storage space running behind the wall so I decided instead of having shelves full of DVDs I will rip them to ISOs and put them in this storage space.

I bought 3 of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-Drive/dp/B00UNA1O0W (the price has gone up!) put all the ISOs on them and connected them to a Raspberry pi running OpenElec, I then later got another Rapsberry pi for the bedroom so I can now watch my DVD collection upstairs or downstairs with all the extras, commentaries etc. The reason I ripped them to ISO is because I enjoy watching the making of's and extras.

I later got another 3 of those hard drives for backups. I don't tend to buy DVDs anymore, everything is on Bluray or Netflix but I do sometimes buy older films or TV shows not available elsewhere so I'm looking for more space.

So my question is 'is there a cheaper alternative to buying external hard drives, factoring in the cost of the hardware and the cost of running it?'

I've looked at NAS but unless I spend thousands I can't find any that have more than 2 or 3 bays then the cost of hard drives big enough to store my DVDs on 3 internal hard drives is a lot more than external, my current solution has lasted me 4 years so I'm looking for something with a lot of space, or the ability to upgrade it cheaply so I can run it for a few more years.

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  3. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    That is the largest HDD available.

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  6. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

I think i'm probably better off with the external drive option then. I could buy 24 5TB external drives cheaper than that

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you're going to connect that many drives presumably over USB, I'd wonder what your performance is going to be like. I'd also wonder about the risk you pose to the data stored on each of these drives as no doubt they're mechanical spinning disks. If you're ok with re-ripping 5TB of video files, I guess it'll be ok for you. As much as it sucks, you're better off biting the bullet and buying an array type device that has some sort of RAID support. With the size of drives we're talking about here, anything short of RAID 6 would be unacceptable.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    This is definitely a task for a multi-bay NAS that you can easily access from any and all devices at once in one central location, you can get a Synology DS416 4 bay NAS that supports up to 10TB drives for £328.49 or less: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4-b...14ghz-dual-core-cpu-1gb-ddr3-ram-2x-gbe-3x-us

Then drop in 5TB to 10TB drives into it. If you want to survive a drive failure without data loss and without resorting to an external backup, setup RAID 5 but you'll lose the capacity of one full drive. Or just backup the important data to something or keep the original sources.

9. zx10guy

I strongly recommend against using RAID 5 on any array using 2TB or larger drives. The rebuild time during a failure puts the rest of the array at risk. It's been a best practice recommendation and what I have been telling all of my clients to go RAID 6 with 2TB or larger drives.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's true I forgot about that, haven't used RAID 5 in years.

11. zx10guy

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice