1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"check disk" has stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LauraMJ, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

Hi, all!

Yesterday I went to run a check disk by going to My Computer, then right-clicking on the C drive, then choosing "Tools." I checked both of those options that come up in the dialog box, then rebooted my computer. Now, I've done this before, and it would reboot, and then eventually go to a blue screen and show the check disk process doing it's thing.

However, this time, it simply gave a very small message saying something to the effect that it was checking disk, then it says it cannot access the file, then it says done checking disk.

So, I ran a sfc /scannow and it asked for my disc, which I put in, and I let that run. I tried the check disk again, but same small error message. So, I looked in the system error logs, and there are a couple of error messages about the sfc that I just ran. It says that there are several .dll files that could not be copied to the DLL cache. It gives the same "specific error code" for all three errors. The code is: 0x000004c7 All three say that they are needed for system stability.

If you need the three actual files, I can type them out. They were all three quite long, so I didn't type them out, but if they are needed, I will.

I don't know if those errors from the sfc are related to my check disk not working? The thing is, everytime, now, that I reboot, it will pause at the blue screen and try to do the check disk, but says it can't. After that, it goes to the welcome screen.

Does anyone know what happened to my check disk program, and how can I fix it?

Why did the sfc /scannow say it could not copy those files?

Are things two things related?

2. LauraMJ

Okay, well, I ran the sfc /scannow again, and this time it seems to have been able to copy those files, at least, the system logs now show simply that this scan was started, then the next entry is that this scan had ended. No messages about not being able to copy anything, so I'm taking that to mean that everything ran normally.

However, that did not help my check disk program, upon reboot, it still said that it tried to check the c-drive, that the file system was NFTS, could not access the files and that it has finished scanning.

I have a feeling that it will always have this message now, until I resolve it, because I instructed it to check the disk on the next startup, but now it can't for some reason, so it will try to every time the computer is started.

Help? :)

3. LauraMJ

The check disk program still will not run. It still says that it cannot open the system volume for access.

Help, please? :)

4. twotugs

twotugs

Have you tried scheduling scandisk, and then rebooting to safe mode?

It can also be run from the recovery console (some basic instructions for using the recovery console can be found here )

HTH

5. GBay

GBay

Another way to bring up the chkdsk may be in order, click start> run> type the word, "cmd" minus the quotations> type "cd\", minus the quotations then hit enter> type "chkdsk /f", of course minus quotations> type "y" (of course minus the quotes) to the next part and the hit enter> reboot your system and it should run.:)

6. LauraMJ

Odd.

When I did this:

Nothing happened. Not a thing. Nada. It simply closed the command prompt box and went back to the desktop.

However, I did reboot to save mode, at which point it FINALLY ran the disk check. So, now that it actually ran, it quit trying to run every time I start the computer.

Thanks guys!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/239018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice