1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Check Disk screwed my whole Setup

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ameromatt, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ameromatt

ameromatt Thread Starter

I turned on my computer and loaded Vista and it said I should check my disk for maintenance, or something Like that, I didn't really pay attention, so I did it, and then it restarted, and then when I reloaded it told me "Windows could not startup" so it tried to fix the problem, but it told me it was unable to do so. so now I am using Ubuntu which I daul-boot on the same computer, and I can't even load windows. all of my windows files are still accessible thankfully Via Ubuntu, but I want to fix windows. Help.

2. 247techie

247techie

Have you used the recovery console in Vista ?

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Hello and welcoem to TSG.

Can you be certain it was actually Vista taht ran that check and not some piece of malware trying to sell itself to you?

Can Ubuntu mount the volume Vista sits on?

In Ubuntu, click Places then right click the drive (listed by size) and Mount Device. If it can, pop in the Vista DVD, restart and boot from that and click on StartUp Repair If that fails, boot from the DVD again and select Command Prompt then at the prompt, type chkdsk X: /r (including the spaces) where X is the apprpriate drive letter and let teh five stage process run its course..

4. ameromatt

ameromatt Thread Starter

I don't have a Vista Disk.

5. ameromatt

ameromatt Thread Starter

System Startup AND System Restore both don't work

System Startup said it found no problems. and System Restore could not be completed because of a missing file?

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

And how did Checkdisk pan out?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice