check HDD intergrity

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jerold

I replaced my wife's laptop HDD since the old one started to make clicking noises and at times would lock up on boot. I currently have the old on in an external HDD enclosure and would like to find some utility or test application that can test the HDD for damage. Any advice?

It is a Hitachi Travelstar 40GB.

I have the drive fitness test from Hitachi's site, but I think that I need to reinstall the HDD into the laptop to run the test from a bootable floppy.

Thanks,
Jerold

first before any testing or letting the drive run you should
copy any files that you want to keep onto other storage.
this is major important because anytesting or running
time could be its last, get the data as quick as can.

to test in windows nt, 2000, xp

in My Computer highlight the drive you want to check, right click,
click on Properties, then tools then error checking.

to test in windows 95, 98 (as i recall)

start -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> scandisk

Why not just run checkdisk on it by right clicking the drive in My Computer, choosing tools, error checking and then in settings check both boxes.

Jerold

I ran the check disk utility and it worked on the usb device. All came back ok, I guess since it didn't show me anything other than check complete. I know that Hitachi's make clicking noises, but my wife's laptop burned out 2 other HDD's when I was using it and they all started with clicking noises that just progressed to the disk grinding and failing completely.

If check disk completed you can be relatively sure all is ok though.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, CHKDSK is far from a comprehensive diagnostic. I'd be seriously considering using the disk manufacturer diagnostics and running it connected to a desktop machine.

That's true JW but any serious problems would show up with checkdisk.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Only if you do the full surface scan. If you're going to that much time and effort, might as well do the complete diagnostic and be sure. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online