1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Check modem type, even though XP can't find it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gram123, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I was wondering if there is a way (maybe a little program or Windows tool) to get the full make and number of my modem whilst it is inoperative.
    It worked fine prior to the installation of Win XP on my machine. When I tried to connect to the internet after installation, it said something about it being "not plugged in".
    It is an internal modem, I believe a HSP56 MR, but that's all I know, and I'm obviously going to need updated drivers for it.

During the installation of XP, it gave me the option to save a copy of software and hardware that is (or may possibly be) incompatible. I saved this list in the default location, but I don't know where that location is, or what the file is called! I'm thinking that this should have some further details about my modem.

Alternatively, if anyone knows where I can get a generic driver for a HSP56 MR internal modem that works with Windows XP, that would suffice.

I've sent an e-mail to the guy who sold me the PC, but this was 9 months ago, so he may not remember/have a record.

Final option would be to open the PC up and see what I can find out.

Thanks
    Gram

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Well Gram, I did a search and it looks like thats a PCtel modem, when I went to their website it said that XP was unsupported :(
    I'll continue to look for sutible driver though.

edit: I did find this driver, it's for their micromodem but it could work, wont hurt to try.
    http://www.pctel.com/media/drivers/...026 WinXP.zip

3. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

THanks Todd, but it turns out that I have a systemboard CD for my motherboard, and morevoer, the Win2000 modem drivers work with WinXP Home Ed (but not Pro).
    I'm using the PC now to write this.

So, er... problem solved.
    Thanks anyway.

Gram

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice